Discussion topic: Can't split 2.4 into and 5GHz on sky max hub

This message was authored by PortlandBill This message was authored by: PortlandBill

Can't split 2.4 into and 5GHz on sky max hub

Hi all

I had sky broadband installed today, using the sky max hub @150mbps

I tried to replicate my virgin broadband set up by splitting the 2.4 and 5.0ghz bands. Couldn't do it despite following the on site instructions, with and without the My Sky app. 

Rang the help desk to be told that it's not possible - yet. "Maybe in a few weeks or months"

It's not turned out not to be as big a problem as I was expecting (I have lots of oldish light bulbs, plugs and security cameras that all needed to be installed on 2.4ghz networks only). They seemed to connect OK, leaving just the easier stuff (phones, and tablets, etc) to be reset to the new SSiD manually

Just mentioning this now so others won't be as surprised as I was. 

BTW, you can turn off/on the 2.4 and 5.0 individually if that helps when setting up new devices. 

Am I right in thinking I can put a cable from the hub to the Stream Puck to reduce the WiFi load? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Can't split 2.4 into and 5GHz on sky max hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PortlandBill 

Settings, Network, WiFi (I think)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PortlandBill wrote:

Am I right in thinking I can put a cable from the hub to the Stream Puck to reduce the WiFi load? 

Stream pucks can use ethernet, yes.  The reduction in load on the Hub won't be significant, but the puck itself may well be much happier: be sure to switch off its own wireless though.

Glass puck rear.jpg

PortlandBill
Topic Author
This message was authored by PortlandBill This message was authored by: PortlandBill

Thanks. 

How do I switch off the puck's WiFi? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@PortlandBill 

Settings, Network, WiFi (I think)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion