Discussion topic: Broadband speed

This message was authored by Adam55 This message was authored by: Adam55

Broadband speed

IMG_8566.png

IMG_8567.png

IMG_8568.jpeg

Hi all, I've just had the sky broadband fitted (500mbps) and I'm only getting 280 max and that's at a push. Usually it sits around 160-180, I'm aware that it's new and they'll be configuring it but surely that can't be right? I'm not a new customer so I can't really remember how long it took last time, the new equipment is working correctly and the sky app says it's all fine and I'm getting a min download speed of 400mbps but of course I'm not. 

thanks all 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Adam55 

Because you are testing it over WiFi.

WiFi is subject to interference, airspace limitations & WiFi router hardware limitations. Pushing 250+mbps over the Sky Hub's WiFi is a good number and you likely wont get much more than that per client. If you want to use the full 500mbps to single client you need to connect via ethernet.

Note that Sky's Ultrafast service is designed to push UHD streaming speeds to many devices at once. It is not designed to push the full 500mbps to a single WiFi connected device because in practice there is very little use for this. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion