Discussion topic: Broadband issues (specific websites ALL devices)

This message was authored by Frank13 This message was authored by: Frank13

Broadband issues (specific websites ALL devices)

So for the past two weeks I haven't been able to acccess certain sites over sky broadband. Nothing bad, it seems to be any ipv4 website. Which seems to be a lot, I used www.ipv6-test.com. Shows me ipv4 is not supported at all. At first I thought it was just my laptops with the issue, but now I've noticed my phone switching itself to 5G to access these websites. I have tried everything you could think of. Changing DNS, flushing it. I've turned my router off numerous times, including the WHOLE of last night. I'm currently living with my parents so they have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to deal with this stuff so I guess it's just down to me. Any help or recommendations? Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Broadband issues (specific websites ALL devices)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Frank13 something is wrong at your end as running the test you link to gives me 19 out of 20 and of course Sky supports both IP4 & IP6 so check any manual settings you have changed.

The blocked sites can be down to the settings your parents have for Sky's Broadband Shield which defaults to age 13 on set up see https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-using The account holder's Sky ID can change the setting in the My Sky app.

Many newer phones have a setting which switches to mobile data when that is faster than local wifi so check thst is not what is happening on your phone. Continually rebooting the router is not a good idea as that confuses the cabinet if you are on a copper connection which will start to reduce the speed to stop the "line drops". Setting a manual DNS on devices is sensible but you again should not need to continually clear the cache as that simply slows things down - caching is after-all a store of sites you use.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Frank13
Topic Author

So broadband shield is off, no settings had been changed prior as there were no issues, I just use mobile data on my phone now to save any issues arising. That link gives me 10/20. To be honest all I've done is try to follow solutions I've seen online to fix this issue. Just to state, I found out I had this issue due to getting an error on chrome error_address_unreachable. No matter what I do I can't fix it. This happens on all devices connected to the internet. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Frank13 that result is not normal and is not something I can explain. Sky have over 6 million broadband customers and this is not something we see reported frequentlly. If you are 100% certain its not a config issue at your end by for example testing using an alternative browser it is possible the Sky hub is faulty but its a pretty weird fault if that is it.

It maybe worth asking Sky to swap out the unit. However they will only speak to the account holder so I can't escalate your post. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Frank13
Topic Author

Yeah I though it was pretty weird. I'm really stumped, so this was my last bet before the account holder is back from holiday and I get him to speak to sky. Thanks for your help.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Frank13 

Is your routers admin page showing a public IPv4 address?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Frank13
Topic Author

How can I tell if it's a public address? 

@Frank13 

In your routers admin settings under 'Maintenance' then scroll down to 'Broadband port' there will be an IPv4 Address & IPv6 address.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Frank13
Topic Author

Found it yeah, it does show an address. I can't even access my router through any laptops here I have to use my iPhone. I get the same error message. Should I post here? 

@Frank13 

What error message? If a device is on your home network it should be able to connect to the routers admin interface

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Frank13
Topic Author

ERR_ADRRESS_UNREACHABLE on chrome. This is the same thing it says in a majority of other sites too. I don't understand what's happened to be honest. There was no issues a week ago. Obviously I've searched this term, seen majority of fixes and attempted some. None have worked.

@Frank13 

Something isnt right. I would factory reset the router, then connect 1 device at a time to see if the issue starts happening right away or with a certain device being connected.

To factory reset the router you need to hold the reset button on the rear for a minimum of 30 seconds.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Frank13
Topic Author

I've done what you said. Held reset button for 30 seconds plus. Router started as normal. Tried a laptop straight away and faced the same issue instantly. Really stumped at this point.

This message was authored by Steve1515016 This message was authored by: Steve1515016

Frank I have the exact same issue, it makes working from home very difficult as for a while I was only getting it on work related sites, im now getting ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE from a lot of different websites on Chrome.

Ive tried changing the DNS settings, restarting the router, etc but I still get it, its been ongoing for about 2 weeks now.

This message was authored by JayneRuby This message was authored by: JayneRuby

i am also now having this exat same issue. everything was working fine and then today the same problem you described started here. nothing changed on my end to cause this. my network adaptor reports no internet access on IPV4 connectivity. but says IPV6 does have internet access.

i have a TP -Link router as a backup and connected through that as a test and everything works perfect as it was before. There is clearly something gone wrong with the sky router, some update got pushed to it or something i don't know. I tried to factory reset it but that also doesn't fix the issue.

I assume the only was to resolve this is a new sky router/engeineer visit? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion