Discussion topic: Broadband blocking websites

This message was authored by Pauly+S This message was authored by: Pauly+S

Broadband blocking websites

Over the last week or so, my broadband has stopped accessing some web pages. I've not changed my shield it's still set at 13 as I have young children but recently I can't access websites such as yahoo mail, sky, daily clam to name but a few.  The only way to access is via mobile data.  

I've removed the shield and it then works but clear I don't want to remove the restriction permanently due to having young children. 

Any ideas why this has started happening as previously I've had not problem and the shield settings are the same.  

Thanks in advance 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband blocking websites

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Pauly+S 

Have you tried unplugging your hub for 30mins to fetch a new public IP?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Pauly+S
Topic Author

Thanks @jamesn123 @I've tried your suggestion but unfortunately it hasn't worked.  ☹️

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Pauly+S 

All i can suggest is adding the sites to your exceptions list so you can still access them while its set to 13

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by carolana This message was authored by: carolana

@Pauly+S ... Was this resolved for you? If not, can anyone else help?

I've been having exactly the same problem over the last week. Some sites I usually access without difficulty are just not connecting at all. This is happening on different devices and in different browsers. All when connected to my Sky broadband/wifi. The only workaround for me is by using mobile data on my phone. I have followed the suggestion above about switching off hub for a while. No that doesn't fix it. I already checked the broadband shield and there appears to be nothing blocked there, I've never added anything to those settings.

All very odd, can anyone else advise please?

This message was authored by unhappywifiuser This message was authored by: unhappywifiuser

I am having this issue as well. I have looked around in this forum and it looks like others are haveing this issue too. I am using an iPhone with the latest IOS. i only have this issue when on Sky broadband, my works wife loads pretty much all websites and loads content on my mails and they have the strictest blockers on. I am getting round this issue for now by using mobile data at home but not ideal

@unhappywifiuser Hi, I've just now been on the phone to Sky broadband help/customer service on 150. The person I spoke to has sorted it for me. He guided me to login to  "MySky" app on my phone. Go to "Broadband and Talk" then "Broadband and Talk Settings" then "Broadband Shield"... scroll down to "choose what you want to see .... a list of options ... select the option/s you want...... (mine was partly wrong and not what I wanted, so I don't know how that had happened!) but anyway... at the bottom of the list is "Disable Shield" ... so that is what I've done for now, and now able to get into the websites I'd had trouble accessing. Then be sure to "Save settings" at foot of that page. I'm leaving the Broadband Shield disabled for now, but intend to explore later by going through the different options and seeing which websites are affected under each option.

Hope that help you too and anyone else who has been having the same problem. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@carolana wrote:

@unhappywifiuser 

(mine was partly wrong and not what I wanted, so I don't know how that had happened!)

Sky Broadband Shield is automatically turned on when you join Sky Broadband, and is set so it’s suitable for teenagers during the day and adults in the evening. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-using 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

ps - meant to say.... this was in the MySky app, whereas I had previously been trying to sort it out on laptop on website with no success. So obviously better to sort out the settings in the Mobile app. Hope that makes sense.

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Sky Broadband Shield is automatically turned on when you join Sky Broadband, and is set so it’s suitable for teenagers during the day and adults in the evening. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-using 

My reply:  Thanks for the link and information , but I have been a Sky broadband customer for 10 years or more,  not only just joined, and have never encountered the problem before, so never had to query it before. Just saying.

Pauly+S
Topic Author

Hi @carolana 

Great news you've managed to resolve this, unfortunately for me I don't want to  remove the 13 shield as I have young children and don't want them accessing certain sites which if I disable the shield will do. ☹️

This message was authored by unhappywifiuser This message was authored by: unhappywifiuser

Hi @carolana  i have disabled broadband shield, I can get onto websites I previously couldn't load and mail content loads, but then after about 5 mins or so i just encounter the same problems, this is really annoying as I have had the same broadband shield setting for years and never had an issue before. I also don't want to disable the shield permanently as I have an 11 year old and I need to restrict what he has access to. 

This message was authored by DA9090 This message was authored by: DA9090

I am having this same issue. Broadband shield set to 18 but I can disable it to allow access then it comes back whilst still being disabled in settings. It has also locked Google safesearch strict.

Has someone found a solution? 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@DA9090 Sky Broadband Shield will not affect the settings for Google Safe Search which is entirely separate check the settings on your Google account. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by DA9090 This message was authored by: DA9090

@Chrisee from the website:

• Comes with Safe Search. It helps to protect young people from adult content. Filters explicit content from Google and Bing search results so you can feel safer allowing your children to browse the internet.

www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-start

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion