Discussion topic: Broadband Speed to hub problem - Who do I contact

This message was authored by MikeB6859 This message was authored by: MikeB6859

Broadband Speed to hub problem - Who do I contact

Dear All, for nearly 12 months now I have been with Sky Broadband after being a long term user of BT Internet.  I live in a very rural location, and while the BT service was OK to what I required with average download speeds in the region of 20/22mbps i switched to Sky purely due to the ever increasing cost of BT.

The Broadband option I was placed on (Superfast 35) with a guaranteed minimum download speed of 20/21mps.

All has been fine

But in recent weeks, I have noticed the speed has dropped signifacantly compromising email downloads, web page loading, using apps such as Netflix etc.  At about the same time Sky did email me indicating that they had noticed an issue etc

I contacted the technical service people of sky, who tested the hub. wifi signal, factory reset the hub etc.  While all good in the home, the problem is with the inbound line to the hub.

They indicated that the issue was out of their hands, and credited to my account one months broadband fee.  While thank you very much, does not solve the issue.

I suspect the issue is more to do with local broadband cabinets or the overhead cable to my property so hence my question, who should I be contacting or is this something SKY should be addressing?

Please advise who I should esculate the matter to!  While I am not after the fastest broadband, I do expect what was promised and a reasonable connection.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Broadband Speed to hub problem - Who do I contact

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MikeB6859 

Could you post your hub statrt

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Also enter your full address below and post the table and notes after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@MikeB6859   Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

MikeB6859
Topic Author

The following is the Router Statistics as requested, Thank you for your attention Router Statistics

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.03.28.png

MikeB6859
Topic Author

Thank you, Stats posted

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@MikeB6859 

Your noise margins are high indicating a fault the results of the wholesale checker will give us the capabilities of the line

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MikeB6859 you are correct that your line is not working as well as it should and Openreach appear to have fixed the speed to 20Mb/s down to stabilise the connection. The fact Sky have emailed you and given credit indicates Openreach are not prepared to undertake work to fix your line. This used to be quite uncommon but now as Openreach are in the process of switching from the copper phone network to full fibre they are increasingly unwilling to invest in fixing copper lines.

Sky will release you from contract but switching to any other ISP using the same line will not change the speed it delivers - ignore their checkers which may pick up a speed from the database while you have actual speeds. Unless you have access to a different network such as Virgin Media or one of the smaller fibre networks or perhaps a mobile provider you are stuck as nobody can force Openreach to do work.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MikeB6859
Topic Author

Thanks, I suspected this might be the case.  I guess I need to get onto Openreach to find out the planned timeline of the conversion in the area.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MikeB6859  See https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion