Discussion topic: Availability of ultrafast broadband

This message was authored by pjohng This message was authored by: pjohng

Availability of ultrafast broadband

Every street on my estate, with the exception of mine has recently been upgraded to ultrafast broadband. I cannot find out the reason why this has happened . Any Help 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Availability of ultrafast broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pjohng a screen shot would be essier to read than a photo but as far as I can read while you are on an exchange where new orders for services over copper are not normally accepted but you are not yet in an area where fibre is a priority.

As the article @TimmyBGood posted points out running new fibre lines on poles require the infrastructure to have sufficent capacity to take the addition of the new fibre cabelling and the CBT units at the sametime as carrying the current copper cables. In all probability the poles in your road were judged not to be able to do that. At some point Openreach will come back and sort that but as to when that will happen is unknown unless a friendly Openreach engineer will tell you.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@pjohng the roll out of fibre is down to Openreach why a paricular road is or isnt included will be down to their engineering survey which includes the cost ansysis as this is a commercial investment. Without knowing the detailed layout of the infrastructure its impossible to know why you road was missed but it could simply be a physical issue such as a blocked duct or difficulty gaing the right access to install the gear which made including it uneconomic. At some point youur road will presumably need to be included as the plan is to decommission the copper network.

You can see what their database says by entering you full address into this checker DSL Checker

If you want help in understanding the result post in the forum after removing the reference to your address but incude the notes below thst table

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
pjohng
Topic Author

The whole estate is supplied by overhead wires. Every other street is connected but not mine. Really doesen't  make sense.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@pjohng unfortunately Openreach do not explain why a road is missed. However as explained in this link https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband#accordi... they may come back and complete the work later. As a private company BT group who own Openreach do not have to justify their investment decisions. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@pjohng wrote:

The whole estate is supplied by overhead wires. Every other street is connected but not mine.

One possibility is that a particular pole has been marked as having reached its load limit.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/02/an-unusual-capacity-problem-on-openreachs-uk-fttp-pole... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
pjohng
Topic Author

20240109_072351.jpgPlease see table as requested

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@pjohng a screen shot would be essier to read than a photo but as far as I can read while you are on an exchange where new orders for services over copper are not normally accepted but you are not yet in an area where fibre is a priority.

As the article @TimmyBGood posted points out running new fibre lines on poles require the infrastructure to have sufficent capacity to take the addition of the new fibre cabelling and the CBT units at the sametime as carrying the current copper cables. In all probability the poles in your road were judged not to be able to do that. At some point Openreach will come back and sort that but as to when that will happen is unknown unless a friendly Openreach engineer will tell you.

pjohng
Topic Author

Sorry  about the quality Chrisee. Answer sounds about right to me, guess I will have to start looking for a friendly Openreach engineer. Thanks so much for your help and information.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@pjohng wrote:

guess I will have to start looking for a friendly Openreach engineer. 

You may find physical tags attached to the poles themselves which indicate maximum capacity has been reached, or that they have otherwise been marked for replacement.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
pjohng
Topic Author

I have just had a look at our pole  and there are 18 lines attached to it . There also seems to be a box  attached to the pole which wasn't there previously?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@pjohng 

If it looks something like below then that would be a Fibre distribution pod. 

PICT0219.JPG

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
pjohng
Topic Author

Hi James The boxes x2 on the pole near me are just rectangular, as far as I can see.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@pjohng wrote:

Hi James The boxes x2 on the pole near me are just rectangular, as far as I can see.

It could be that either Virgin Media or another Altnet provider have has these installed for their own services as both can now use existing Openreach infrastructer I.E poles.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

pjohng
Topic Author

Hi  That is very interesting unfortunately zi am contracted to sky

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion