Discussion topic: Any Virgin Media defectors here?

This message was authored by HumdingerCymru This message was authored by: HumdingerCymru

Any Virgin Media defectors here?

Hi, 

I have been with VM for over 20 years. I'm on 350 mbs down and 35 up via the Hub 3 in modem mode with an Asus RT-AC86U router.  My only choice up to now has been FTTC services so not really an option. However I have just had a Sky flyer through my door saying that Sky Broadband Ultrafast Plus 500 mbs is being rolled out to my area. So what do people recommend? Have any ex VM customers on here had a positive experience of switching to this? Any feedback generally? Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks very much. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Any Virgin Media defectors here?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HumdingerCymru 

I dont have any experience in switching but thought I'd chip in and give some info.

- When switching you'll need to cancel your VM connection manually as Sky only do assisted switching when you are switching from an Openreach based ISP.

- If you decide to go for Sky fibre make sure you dont cancel VM until your Sky fibre has been installed as often first time FTTP deployments can get delayed due to blocked ducts or engineer availability.

- Usually Openreach FTTP is better than VM due to VM having slow downs during peak usage

- VM is also known for poorer ping which isnt ideal for gaming if your into that. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@HumdingerCymru 

I dont have any experience in switching but thought I'd chip in and give some info.

- When switching you'll need to cancel your VM connection manually as Sky only do assisted switching when you are switching from an Openreach based ISP.

- If you decide to go for Sky fibre make sure you dont cancel VM until your Sky fibre has been installed as often first time FTTP deployments can get delayed due to blocked ducts or engineer availability.

- Usually Openreach FTTP is better than VM due to VM having slow downs during peak usage

- VM is also known for poorer ping which isnt ideal for gaming if your into that. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Thornhill5 This message was authored by: Thornhill5

That sounds like you're in an Openreach FTTP area so that's great! You can get Sky Ultrafast which is their Full Fibre product. Definitely the broadband is like night versus day when it comes to full fibre versus older copper. Speed is lightning fast and reliability is superb. As for TV, it's all personal when it comes to what you wish to watch, but you can personalise your TV package. You can also choose to have one service or the other. Of course, it can work out cheaper to have a combined deal of multiple services. 

HumdingerCymru
Topic Author
This message was authored by HumdingerCymru This message was authored by: HumdingerCymru

I have today received a follow-up flyer saying "Game changing broadband has arrived at your street" and "we've rolled out Sky broadband ultrafast plus in your area". Great I thought this was the update I have been waiting for. However when I check my postcode eligibility on both the Sky and Openreach websites they still say only copper FTTC. What am I to make of this please? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@HumdingerCymru 

Have you tried bt wholesale

Enter your full postal address and post the table after removing your address from the image. Databases can take time to update

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
HumdingerCymru
Topic Author

Thanks again. Just pricy FTTP on demand. 

served by Cabinet 24
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date High Low High Low       VDSL Range A (Clean) HumdingerCymru_0-1650116669421.gif

64.5 45.8 15.2 10 40 Available Available VDSL Range B (Impacted) HumdingerCymru_1-1650116669462.gif

63 43.1 14.9 9 35 Available Available
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 3 to 8 Available ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date VDSL Multicast Available ADSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status FTTP Priority Exchange N WLR Withdrawal N SOADSL Restriction Y
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@HumdingerCymru 

The domestic fttp option to look for is wbc fttp. Looks like the database hasn't updated

Could you post the same table for an immediate neighbour

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

HumdingerCymru
Topic Author

Thanks. Tried both sides and the table looks the same to me 

served by Cabinet 24
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date High Low High Low       VDSL Range A (Clean) HumdingerCymru_0-1650117946529.gif

64.5 45.8 15.2 10 40 Available Available VDSL Range B (Impacted) HumdingerCymru_1-1650117946603.gif

63 43.1 14.9 9 35 Available Available
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 3 to 8 Available ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date VDSL Multicast Available ADSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status FTTP Priority Exchange N WLR Withdrawal N SOADSL Restriction Y
HumdingerCymru
Topic Author

Screenshot_20220416-150420.png

@HumdingerCymru 

Aye, openreach update that every 4-8 weeks. Sky can only offer it once that shows wbc fttp looks like sky have sent out flyers in anticipation 😫

HumdingerCymru
Topic Author

Appreciate your assistance 👍 I'll keep an eye out for the cabling vans as I know they are inching closer. 

@HumdingerCymru wrote:

Appreciate your assistance 👍 I'll keep an eye out for the cabling vans as I know they are inching closer. 

Yep, that bt checker is the definative checker

This message was authored by Khayes This message was authored by: Khayes

Ok let me tell you my story...

I have been with Sky for over 22 years. Got 3 Qboxes, BB, TV, Landline. I also have a separate landline with BT and use that to get BT sports.

Combined / month was £205.

Didn't need the second landline.

I called sky as I really wanted a much better deal, 22 years of loyalty HAS to count for something. Was looking at  £60-£80 for BB, TV, sports, BT etc.

Went through 3 layers of retention, sorry best they can do is £125 / month.

Spoke to Virgin on their top package for the equivelent was £85.

No brainer, switched.

Installation very nearly didn't happen as old telewest cable that was laid in 1996 had been pulled, but as nighbour wasn't using virgin, engineer used their roadside connection for interim, until Kelly communication could repull my wire.

The service...well 1 gig connection is blazingly fast. The router has wifi 6, the boxes are very responsive and netflix loads up instantaniously. The voice search on sky q and the wifi used to be laggy, but on VM its a lot quicker.

Also if you join a programme half way through, you have the option of starting the programme from the start.

So far happy with the service from VM, however still waiting for Kelly communcation, which are a contractor that BT, Virgin, EE, Network Rail use and are the weak link to pull my cable as I have an ugly cable trailing across the wall.

The service from Virgin all depends how many people are connected at your cabbinet. The more people, the more people you share with, and you may get lags in your speed.

Virgin uses co-axial cable for the "last mile" and fibre inside the cabinet. If there is not enough connectors at the Cabinet they will take someone's out and put a T junction, so you will share with someone.

All their boxes need co-axial and ideally ethernet. You may have sky wired in your house, but the sky cable is not suitable for DOCIS 3.1, you will have probelms with the signal, you might get away with a booster.

They do have proper broadband quality cable that they can install, or if you book for a pre-install, they will leave it with you, so you can route it the way you want. They will NOT go into lofts or basements.

If you don't want holes drilling all over the place, you are going to have to do the planning yourself, and route the cable yourself, that way you get the job they way you want it.  When the main cable comes into the house, it is fed into a splitter, in my case 4 ways, one goes to the router and the other 3 go to the boxes. The boxes can run from wifi but an ethernet connection is best.

Also don't cut the sky wires in case you ever go back to them in the future.

I have just started an 18 month contract, so far very happy, most channels are in HD (the main ones, plus sports and BT is 4k)

I appreciate switching is not for everyone, and there is a lot of prep to do before hand. However make sure you have a cable outside. Open the litle box that says CATV and there should be a black wire and possibly some draw string. Get a pre-install and at this visit, the mistake that I made was that I didn't get the technician to check that there was any wire. So please ensure that the wire is there, and its live at the other end, if not you are at the mercy of Kelly Communication, and there are so many people that are waiting pre-pulls months on end. In that case don't cancel your sky.

Hope this has been of help

This message was authored by LongstockPip This message was authored by: LongstockPip

I have just swapped from VM to SKY FTTC and so far so good - I didnt cancel until the install was complete as we wfh so rely on the connection. Installation through Sky was quick and sort of painfree (except having my order cancelled becasue they were using a 6 year out of date phone number). Engineers were installed and done within 1.5 hours, even hoovered up - they dont mess about as they are paid by the job!

This message was authored by Khayes This message was authored by: Khayes

@LongstockPip  what issues were you facing that made you leave VM?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion