Discussion topic: Activation Day - minimising downtime?

This message was authored by gilbo2 This message was authored by: gilbo2

Activation Day - minimising downtime?

Our FTTC Superfast broadband activates on Monday, ie transferring from Plusnet to Sky.

I'm not going to be around much on that day, so I'm trying to work out what the best thing to do is to minimise downtime for the rest of the family, understanding that activation can happen at anytime from midnight to midnight.

ie, is it best to swap to the Sky router last thing on Sunday night, Monday morning or after that it would be very late in the evening before I'd be around to swap them.

I appreciate it is impossible to know when activation takes place, but from past experience, when might be the best of these 3 times to swap over to minimise downtime?

Thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: Activation Day - minimising downtime?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gilbo2  Normally you find that your connection from your older ISP dies at around midnight Sunday, and I would just drop the new router on Monday morning and might find that you have a data flow,. But as you said it can take up to midnight on Monday.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gilbo2  Normally you find that your connection from your older ISP dies at around midnight Sunday, and I would just drop the new router on Monday morning and might find that you have a data flow,. But as you said it can take up to midnight on Monday.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
gilbo2
Topic Author

Thank you for that @Highlinder , fingers crossed now for Monday now 😉

gilbo2
Topic Author

Activation day went without a hitch and as predicted. My old ISP went down during the night and when I connected the Sky hub in the morning, all came to life.

No one even noticed 😉

Credit where credit is due, first impressions from ordering Sky Stream with Superfast to activation has been a very good one, I hope now my experince remains postive during the next 18 months.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion