Discussion topic: 55m ethernet cable attached to outside wall stopped working when we switched from BT router to Sky!

This message was authored by DaveyMames This message was authored by: DaveyMames

55m ethernet cable attached to outside wall stopped working when we switched from BT router to Sky!

We have a house garage conversion about a car's length away from our main house on the same property. It's classed as an annex by the council so it has the same address as the main house. The annex is NOT connected to the main house. I have an ethernet cable going from the router in the main house along the outside walls, across a car port and into the annex house. It's about a 55m ethernet cable.

We explained this to Sky when placing an order for BT Broadband and they never mentioned that there could be problems with this.

On the day my Sky broadband was activated my BT hub obviously stopped working so I connected the 55m ethernet cable that used to be in the BT hub into the Sky hub. None of the ports the cable was connected to would light up so the cable was no longer working for some reason even though it was working fine earlier in the day when connected to the BT home hub. I tried another cable that I left loose on the floor to connect to the annex and that cable worked fine on all ethernet ports, it's just the wall installed ethernet cable that stopped working for some reason. We've had a replacement SKy hub be sent to us which had the same problem.

Engineer for Sky Q turned up today and basically said he would fix the issue soon. Instead, later that day text messages revealed that the Sky Q order was placed on hold until WE fix the cable ourselves because Sky will not replace the cable because it's going into an annex!

Why would the the cable work fine in a BT Home Hub but not a Sky hub? Is there a better cable I need to buy? It was a Cat6a outdoor cable that I had.

I have to get a a 3rd party to install the new ethernet cable that I need to buy. Is there anyone I can call to do that besides satellite installers?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: 55m ethernet cable attached to outside wall stopped working when we switched from BT router to S

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaveyMames 

What is connected on the other end of the cable?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion