Discussion topic: 50 days and no service as a new customer

This message was authored by Fee11 This message was authored by: Fee11

50 days and no service as a new customer

I finally got my installation resolved on 16th Jan, however there is no superfast broadband connection. I am a new customer and it is now 50 days since my service was meant to start. I extended my previous provider by a month, but I am now without a broadband connection. I work from home and am having to use my work mobile data. I have no Hive, no Alexa, no Ring doorbell. There is an EE hotspot I can pay for, will Sky refund me if I pay for this service as well as the auto compensation. I wish I had never moved but haggled with my previous provider. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: 50 days and no service as a new customer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fee11 

If you are part way through an Openreach FTTP installation then it's very likely that any other ISP using the Openreach network will run into exactly the same problem.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Fee11 wrote:

There is an EE hotspot I can pay for, will Sky refund me if I pay for this service as well as the auto compensation.

Typically not: the default compensation is intended to cover data cost, and there's no mechanism to cover a hardware purchase.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Fee11 the service is only billed from the day it is finally installed. It is unfortunate that there was a delay in getting that done but if it was getting a new line run this does happen and you will be paid compensation in the form of a credit on your account but it takes a few weeks to appear see Customer Auto-Compensation | Sky Help | Sky.com

Are you saying the service installed on 16/1 is not working or that the work is not yet complete?. Where new lines are run there can be multiple steps and of course until all of these are completed there is no service. I have posted before about my own switch from copper to to fibre in 2022 which took nearly 3 months. The compensation I got covered the best part of 6 months payment.

In answer to your question about paying for a EE hotspot I have never known Sky to do that and Inthink it is vanishingly unlikely that they would in your case. Ofcom set up the industry compensation scheme Sky offers and that doesnt require the ISP to do so. In 99% of cases the actual compensation cash comes from Openreach the network operator paid to you via Sky. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Fee11
Topic Author

My service was meant to go live on 2nd Dec 2023. Through various faults engineers not turning up Openreach not fitting the external box. It was 16th Jan before they finally linked internal and external boxes. No broadband.. went through all the checks and turn odd,  turn on twice. Its 19th and still no broadband. An advisor informed me to extend my virgin contract by a month which I did from 5th Dec to 18th Jan and to send them the invoice. Its £45.00. Now I have nothing since yesterday and I have no idea when they are going to resolve it. I am paying for 5 days EE wifi hot spot use as I doubt I will get any joy this side of the weekend. Why should I have to pay this? I'm meant to be on superfast broadband at a great price! 

Fee11
Topic Author

There is no hardware purchase it's an EE hotspot I can log onto. I understand the autocompensation but that doesn't help me to get back online and running. All the WiFi enable gadgets are useless unless I can log them onto a broadband service. 

All attempts to get the installation up and running seem futile.

Can I cancel the service at this point? I would be no worse off going to another provider such as EE based on the woeful service from Sky so far. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Fee11 

If you are part way through an Openreach FTTP installation then it's very likely that any other ISP using the Openreach network will run into exactly the same problem.

Fee11
Topic Author

I will just have to wait and let them sort it then. Looks like I will have 12 months free service with  the auto compensation. 

Thank you all for your responses to my questions, it is very much appreciated. 

Fee11
Topic Author

They have agreed to refund me the cost of the hot-spot connection, so a good result, if you don't ask you won't get. However I just want the service I signed up for and agrred to pay for.

My auto compensation starts from 2 Dec up until my service is connected. So fingers crossed it is all resolved on Monday.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion