Discussion topic: 3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

This message was authored by C.Ryan This message was authored by: C.Ryan

Re: 3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

I have recently upgraded to the ftth broadband and have a tp-link Archer AX55 router. 
looking at the details you provided for Ireland I am having difficulty in trying to connect. Any help would be hugely appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance. 

This message was authored by moloneyr This message was authored by: moloneyr

Hi there, tha is for your info this will help others. I have the Asus rapture gtac-5300 and I am looking to set it up as the home router. Quick question will this affect the VoIP sky phone?

This worked flawlessly in the UK with virgin but have not tried it with sky broadband ire yet

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@moloneyr wrote:

Hi there, tha is for your info this will help others. I have the Asus rapture gtac-5300 and I am looking to set it up as the home router. Quick question will this affect the VoIP sky phone?

This worked flawlessly in the UK with virgin but have not tried it with sky broadband ire yet

@moloneyr 

Unless you run the asus in access point mode in conjunction with the sky hub in front of it then you will lose sky internet calls 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@moloneyr wrote:

Quick question will this affect the VoIP sky phone?

As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, 'Sky Talk Internet Calls'  requires a Sky Hub to be used because the handset (or DECT base station) has to be plugged into the 'phone' port on its rear: this accesses a built-in ATA which converts analogue telephony to VOIP.  The software configuration and authentication required for this Sky service is otherwise unpublished / unknown and so cannot be input to other VOIP hardware or a router with a similar port (which are anyway pretty rare).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Update on my modem issue. Well I got it working at last. Third party router installed but wasn't connecting with internet. Went through the settings and eventually through trial and error got the connection to work. Weird as it may seem it worked when I selected Singapore as the option rather than Ireland. But hey I have way better range and speed results than the sky router. It's an awful shame that I got no help from the broadband support team on the phone. 
regards

Would this require the sky hub to be the router or can it be the phone can be plugged into the sky router when the router is used as an extension while having the third party router as the main router. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@C.Ryan wrote:

can it be the phone can be plugged into the sky router when the router is used as an extension while having the third party router as the main router. 

Try it and see?

My guess would be it won't work, but I don't recall any definitive posts either way.

Thanks, I am currently trying to set my sky broadband in to modem mode via dchp off in lam settings and assigning the Asus as a DMZ. So far no internet is being picked up on the Asus it's strange as this worked yesterday when I was testing.

@moloneyr wrote:

I am currently trying to set my sky broadband in to modem mode via dchp off in lam settings

That's still not a 'modem mode': Sky Hubs always route  traffic between WAN and LAN/WLAN interfaces and there's no way to switch that off.  Acting as a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server is a different function unrelated to routing.

I have the Asus assigning IP and dcho disabled on the sky router. Now looks like I have a diall tone on the bt phone but it can't receive calls. Need a land line but don't want the stock sky router 

@moloneyr wrote:

Need a land line but don't want the stock sky router 

There's no known way of achieving that.

Well actually, there is, but it involves subscription to a 'real' VOIP service and abandoning Sky Talk Internet Calls.

This message was authored by Daithi+S This message was authored by: Daithi+S

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thank you for the details on how to connect your router directly to the ONT for Sky FTTH. 

I have filled in these details and managed to get the connection working. 😁
However, doing a Speed test directly on the router it is returning <500Mb down. This would be ideal if I didn't have a GB line and was expecting closer to the 900Mb. 

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Router with the latest updates applied and the following is the settings that I have selected. Is there something I am missing? 

(I wasn't able to find anywhere to set the MTU)

WAN Settings.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Daithi+S 

@Daithi+S wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thank you for the details on how to connect your router directly to the ONT for Sky FTTH. 

I have filled in these details and managed to get the connection working. 😁
However, doing a Speed test directly on the router it is returning <500Mb down. This would be ideal if I didn't have a GB line and was expecting closer to the 900Mb. 

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Router with the latest updates applied and the following is the settings that I have selected. Is there something I am missing? 

(I wasn't able to find anywhere to set the MTU)

DhcpWAN Settings.png

What is in your qos tag drop down settings?

Try enabling upnp

Try enabling dhcpv6 at the bottom

Other than that i can't see anything wrong

@mae-3 anything else you can add?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Aidan+364 

Make sure QoS & Packet filtering are disabled

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@cookiemonsteruk 

Everything is fine with the settings for connecting to a Sky PPPoE connecting in ROI.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion