Discussion topic: 3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

This message was authored by Aidan+364 This message was authored by: Aidan+364

3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

Hi, 

I know this has been answeee a number of times on the forum alewdy but I willl be havinf sky ultrafast 1gb broadband with ont box next week. I understand this ont box will act as the modem so I can use my own mesh system. I will be installing the Asus xt8 mesh system to act as router and mode. I am based in Ireland, are the steps ivovoled the same as if I was in the UK? Any help greatly appreciated 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: 3rd party router with sky Fibre ont box Ireland

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rich91 

Ah. Then the connection type is PPPoE

And 

Username is  anything@skydsl

Password is  anything 

And you'll need to find a vlan id tab and set it to 10

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Aidan+364 

The authentication in Ireland is PPPoE on WAN port and the credentials are username is 'anything@skydsl' and password 'anything', Ireland does not use DHCP Option 61 like the UK.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Aidan+364 

You do ,however, appear to need vlan id 10 otherwise any router should do

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Aidan+364 

"Asus xt8 mesh system"

Good choice 👍

Aidan+364
Topic Author
This message was authored by Aidan+364 This message was authored by: Aidan+364

@mae-3 @cookiemonsteruk  thanks for the input. I'll be sure to use all of the settings above once the sky broadband is installed. I may be back with further questions

This message was authored by Paulheg2 This message was authored by: Paulheg2

How did you get on in the end? I'm waiting on the XT8 also and fibre to home in the next month (also Ireland) so was looking for the same info you got here. Any other tips?

@Paulheg2 

If this is for full fibre fttp then

Attach ethernet from ont to blue wan port on asus

chose the PPPoE option and enter

Username anything@skydsl

Password   anything

You would need to also enter

Vlan id 10

MTU 1500 

@cookiemonsteruk legend thanks for the quick reply and info. I am still waiting on the FTTH installation but should be in the next month. Dying to set the XT8 up and see it in action...currently on a 7mb DSL line 😞

I was toying with the ET8 but its so expensive and does not seem to have any real world benefit over the XT8 at this time. 

Apologies for the no doubt stupid question but where do I change the vlan id to 10 and the MTU? I cannot find them in the settings

@cookiemonsteruk 

@Paulheg2 

For siro fttp the vlan id can be set to 10 via lan down the left hand column then iptv and use the manual/ custom internet vlan and type in 10

@Paulheg2 

For mtu go to wan down the left hand column and the mtu is value can  be changed from the Wan settings screen it may just default to 1492 if it lets you change to 1500

@cookiemonsteruk thanks a million for the help. I changed the VID to 10 in the lan settings page and left the PRIO column at 0.

In terms of the MTU my router would not allow me to change it to 1500 so i left it at the default 1492 i presume this is ok?

@Paulheg2 

Yep. MTU is the maximum transfer unit and relates to the largest data unit that can be transferred. So doesn't really need to be that precise in relation to the difference between 1492 and 1500

This message was authored by Ragnarok1986 This message was authored by: Ragnarok1986

Hey Guys,

I'm sure i'm asking the same question but, i have  netgear nighthawk RAX200, and i'm currently connected to the sky hub via an ethernet port to use my netgear router. Can I can connect directly to the wall socket and just my netgear and leave the sky hub of the link. Again in Ireland, it just seems like i didn't have access to these functions through my routers IP they were all locked but this may be because of the router current set up with the sky hub being linked 

@Ragnarok1986 

Using the details below

In ireland

Select pppoe for connection type

Enter  username anything@skydsl

Enter password   anything

Enter vlan id           10

Enter mtu                1500 or accept default of 1492

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion