Discussion topic: Still No "Tech" reviews? WHY

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Q-tips This message was authored by: Q-tips

Re: Still No "Tech" reviews? WHY

@Chrisee wrote:

Whether this counts as a tech review is debatable butvthis has just gone up on the T3 site https://www.t3.com/reviews/sky-glass-review

Since it kicks off with a Sky Glass deal button, it's as uncritical as you would expect.

"The Sky interface is just so good."

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Chrisee wrote:

Whether this counts as a tech review is debatable butvthis has just gone up on the T3 site https://www.t3.com/reviews/sky-glass-review

That reads like less of a review and more of a paid-for promotion. 

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

Don't T3 reviews always have links to where you can buy ? For any of their reviews. 

This message was authored by Carnoch This message was authored by: Carnoch

I think some on here are only going to believe negative reviews because of their issues with Glass.

This message was authored by Adam-93 This message was authored by: Adam-93

Crikey, that T3 review is nothing more than a fluff piece.

In one sentence it's the 'best TV you can buy', in the next the 'picture isn't great'.

Even one of the screenshots has a gap in the playlist!

This message was authored by sceptic101 This message was authored by: sceptic101

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I thought THIS was a decent well balanced review of where Glass is today...

Drx-890W (4f31b7, Main, 2TB, Active Mode, Powerline 1200 av2)
Drx-890W (4f3127, Secondary, 2TB, Active Mode, Hardwired, S.F. Mode)
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Sky Fibre Unlimited (STB's only)
This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@sceptic101 wrote:

Agreed. Pretty much nails it.  

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sceptic101 @fizzdisco 

I thought so too.

Verdict

Sky Glass is all about convenience. Its streaming system and built-in soundbar removes bundles of cables, boxes and the dish. But while its software and service show lots of promise, it is has bugs and small annoyances, most on-demand apps are slow and clunky, and there are extra hoops that must be jumped through to get to content that make it less convenient to use.

I have no doubt updates will fix many of the issues. But the reliance on terrestrial catchup services and their limitations may always be worse than old-school recordings . If you only ever watch live TV or content hosted directly on Sky’s platform or Netflix, Glass is great.

The screen is decent but not spectacular, competing best with lower priced mid-range sets. The sound is great unless you want a real cinema experience, and the remote is great too. The price is tempting when bought monthly, although you must add the cost of the Sky service on top.

Glass is a work in progress with an enormous potential yet to be realised.

Pros: no satellite or box needed, great sound for a TV, responsive and logical interface, good remote, voice search is fast, unified search helps you find content across a range of services, support for most UK streaming services, long service life and software support.

Cons: no local recording, reliance on terrestrial catchup services disappointing, some things only available live, bugs, motion sensing doesn’t work, voice control unreliable, uneven backlighting, auto-brightness is poor, no game or low lag mode, no Chromecast or AirPlay.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Q-tips This message was authored by: Q-tips

@sceptic101 wrote:

Yes, that's a fair review although not a comprehensive one. There is no mention of the puck performance so the reviewer presumably wasn't sent one. Sky's reticence presumably explained by the near universsal condemnation of the puck performance in the forum reviews here. So that's a whole new can of worms he wasn't able to flag up.

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@sceptic101 @fizzdisco 

I thought so too.

Verdict

Sky Glass is all about convenience. Its streaming system and built-in soundbar removes bundles of cables, boxes and the dish. But while its software and service show lots of promise, it is has bugs and small annoyances, most on-demand apps are slow and clunky, and there are extra hoops that must be jumped through to get to content that make it less convenient to use.

I have no doubt updates will fix many of the issues. But the reliance on terrestrial catchup services and their limitations may always be worse than old-school recordings . If you only ever watch live TV or content hosted directly on Sky’s platform or Netflix, Glass is great.

The screen is decent but not spectacular, competing best with lower priced mid-range sets. The sound is great unless you want a real cinema experience, and the remote is great too. The price is tempting when bought monthly, although you must add the cost of the Sky service on top.

Glass is a work in progress with an enormous potential yet to be realised.

Pros: no satellite or box needed, great sound for a TV, responsive and logical interface, good remote, voice search is fast, unified search helps you find content across a range of services, support for most UK streaming services, long service life and software support.

Cons: no local recording, reliance on terrestrial catchup services disappointing, some things only available live, bugs, motion sensing doesn’t work, voice control unreliable, uneven backlighting, auto-brightness is poor, no game or low lag mode, no Chromecast or AirPlay.

@TimmyBGood  Out of interest is "game mode / low lag mode" something that could be added later with a software update, I seem to remember an old Samsung of mine that had a game mode update down the line.

I find ok when playing through my Xbox, no noticeable lag, but just wondering if enough ask could it get added?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@M3rk wrote:

Out of interest is "game mode / low lag mode" something that could be added later with a software update, I seem to remember an old Samsung of mine that had a game mode update down the line.

I don't think so: it's almost certainly not a panel/chipset that can run at 120Hz, even though the HDMI ports are specified as HDMI 2.1

But a game mode isn't beholden to 120hz is it ..? Lol I don't know ....I've had TVs / monitors with game mode and only 60hz.

This message was authored by Paul+Siwek This message was authored by: Paul+Siwek

I'll be reviewing mine, check out WNDTECH on Youtube thank you.

Firstly it's not a sponsored video, so i can say what the hell i like about it, and what i don't like, and the list of don't likes is growing by the day.

Cheers.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@M3rk wrote:

But a game mode isn't beholden to 120hz is it ..? Lol I don't know ....I've had TVs / monitors with game mode and only 60hz.

No it isn't. Game Mode is just a generic lable anyway as it's dependant on the hardware capabilities of the TV.

The most important thing for a gaming TV (although even this is dependant on what type of game it is) is input lag. This is the delay between your input and the actual result onscreen. Multi player games will be especially affected as on a poorly setup TV you could be behind what everyone else sees onscreen.

The easiest way to reduce lag is to turn off all image processing which can be done manually. Some stuff however needs better hardware, especially the screen.

@M3rk wrote:

ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) is included in the HDMI 2.1 specification (but may also be found in HDMI 2.0 sets if the manufacturer chose to include it).  As @Anonymous indicates, it also has to be supported in the rest of the television in order to actually do anything.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion