Discussion topic: Phone cut off

This message was authored by Theniece This message was authored by: Theniece

Phone cut off

My elderly aunt has been left without a phone line, since December, sky say it's gone digital and they haven't provided her with any other way of contacting anyone.  She cancelled her direct debit, because she has no service, she is not on the internet, now they are sending letters threatening debt collectors and court action 

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Phone cut off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Once you have it all sorted you could potentially raise a complaint with Sky as well to try and find out why your aunt wasn't switched over to the broadband and talk service. I would think there is a good chance you would then be able to get some form of compensation for Sky for this situation your aunt was place in.

The Sky complaints process is detailed here: 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Theniece 

Landline phone subscriptions have been automatically linked to broadband subscriptions for many years. Sounds like she had an extremely ancient landline phone only package. If she didn't cancel her subscription in the normal way then payments will have continued hence the mention of debt collection agencies becoming involved. She needs to set up a new payment method, pay what she owes and then cancel the subscription. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Theniece
Topic Author

How would she do that?, she has no landline or internet, she doesn't have an address which she can post a letter to, I've tried ringing them but they won't speak to me because she isn't with me.  She lives miles away

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Theniece 

That's correct, because you aren't authorised to speak to Sky re her account and even if you were you can't cancel on her behalf unless you have Power Of Attorney. 

To cancel totally I'm presuming it's the same as if she had broadband as well so she will have to contact Sky and give the required notice of 14 days, but if she is still in the initial 18 months deal Sky could impose cancellation charges. This link may help https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-broadband

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Theniece wrote:

My elderly aunt has been left without a phone line, since December, sky say it's gone digital and they haven't provided her with any other way of contacting anyone.

@Theniece I can't work out what might have happened here. Did your aunt have a functioning phone line up to December? I assume she only had a landline service and no broadband?

I know Sky were phasing out their phone only service, but I can't remember how existing users were going to be managed. I don't think it has anything,to do with 'going digital'. To my knowledge rollout  of Sky internet calls to existing customers hasn't begun yet (certainly not from last December).

Theniece
Topic Author

Thank you for your comments.  My Aunt had a phone line up until December, I tried to ring her on a few occasions and got no reply, I became worried and asked a neighbour to check on her.  It turns out her line was dead.  She used neighbours phone to ring Sky and they told her they were not providing  a phone line without broadband/internet.  This is what she has told me, she is 85 and doesn't really understand technology.  They said they would install broadband so she could keep her landline, but nothing has happened, so she was paying every month for nothing.  She tried on many occasions to contact Sky as did I, with no result.  I am going to visit shortly and will get her a simple mobile to use, so she can get help in an emergency.  When I have spoken to persons at Sky and tried to explain, they don't seem to understand English very well and just fob me off with, you will have to ring when you are with her.  This is so frustrating.  However they seem to have no problem contacting my Aunt by letter threatening legal action

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Theniece thank you for the additional information and I understand now what has happened. 

As Sky are no longer providing a phone only service, they should, with your aunt's permission have upgraded her account to include broadband and sent out a broadband Hub, to which your aunt can connect her phone. Clearly that hasn't happened.

While I understand why she cancelled her direct debit, she shouldn't have done so as it doesn't cancel her Sky subscription and just results in an increasing amount outstanding. She will need to pay that off before she can do anything else. She can then cancel, if she's content with using a mobile or follow up with Sky on the phone/broadband issue. Your aunt may want to hang on to the mobile anyway, as her 'landline' phone won't work if her broadband service is down, or there's a power failure.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, Sky cannot talk to you about this without your aunt's authorisation, but if she calls in your presence and after being identified tells Sky she's handing the phone to you, there won't be a problem.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Once you have it all sorted you could potentially raise a complaint with Sky as well to try and find out why your aunt wasn't switched over to the broadband and talk service. I would think there is a good chance you would then be able to get some form of compensation for Sky for this situation your aunt was place in.

The Sky complaints process is detailed here: 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Theniece
Topic Author

Thank you,  this does explain the situation.  I will try to contact them when I visit her next week

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion