Discussion topic: UHD Sky Cinema Channel

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

UHD Sky Cinema Channel

Fully appreciate that sky cinema films are available on demand -  but I wonder if we will see a Sky Cinema UHD channel at some point. Clearly we have them with sport due to the live element, and you could argue that a cinema UHD channel isn't required, but I think it would be a nice addition 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: UHD Sky Cinema Channel

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Fully appreciate that sky cinema films are available on demand -  but I wonder if we will see a Sky Cinema UHD channel at some point. Clearly we have them with sport due to the live element, and you could argue that a cinema UHD channel isn't required, but I think it would be a nice addition 

Well you never know, never thought we'd see 2 UHD sport channels, but here we are 🙂

As this isn't specifically a Glass/Stream thing as there is also Sky Q (satellite delivered channels) i've moved this to the whats on forum.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Jason+Golding
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Hope so @GD1 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@GD1 wrote:

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Well you never know, never thought we'd see 2 UHD sport channels, but here we are 🙂

As this isn't specifically a Glass/Stream thing as there is also Sky Q (satellite delivered channels) i've moved this to the whats on forum.

Films are quite different to live sport.

As we move to more fluid viewing, personally, I suspect Cinema Channels will reduce rather than use very expensive Satellite bandwith for  one or more UHD channels for Films that people generally prefer to watch to suit their own time table rather than watch live (I think the channels on Stream/Glass are there really only to match the Satellite ones) 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jason+Golding 

Shifting UHD data via satellite is a really expensive way of delivering bits: as @nigea99 noted above it's just about tolerable for live Sport which is a really expensive additional subscription, but I wouldn't think the sums work for Cinema

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Sport is one of the few things people watch live

The ads for the sports uhd was "it's only live once", which is a bit different to how people watch movies

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Unlikely as DSat broadcasts would allow UHD movies to be recorded!

Or would the UHD movie channels only be on the Streaming service?

Exiled in HH
Jason+Golding
Topic Author

I was thinking really more about the future and the UHD channel being in Glass or Stream j guess 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Jason+Golding wrote:

I was thinking really more about the future and the UHD channel being in Glass or Stream j guess 

TBH scheduled channels outside of Sports & live news/events on Glass / Stream are really just to keep a legacy reference to analogue & Satellite & provide a schedule for the live events.

Pre-Recorded material for Glass/Stream which is actually a  streaming platform will, I think, just become  streamed, available at a time to suit the viewer, like other streaming platforms.  Scheduled channels for entertainment / films don't really make sense anymore - although there will always be 'slots' for premieres for key films/shows but these won't make up a full schedule

I say all this as someone who really is still geared to the legacy of channels and still watch many shows on BBC/ITV & even the likes of  Alibi when broadcast rather than via catch up/on demand but I think I am becoming part of a minority audience who do so

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

• @nigea99 wrote

Scheduled channels for entertainment / films don't really make sense anymore - although there will always be 'slots' for premieres for key films/shows but these won't make up a full schedule

To me, as someone that is a bit indecisive, I use the movie schedules as a bit of a 'push notification'/reminder, I am like "oh I see that film on the schedule, I will Stream it now."

Otherwise I am like a joke from Trevor Noah

"The most popular thing on TV now is scrolling through netflix, looking for something to watch"

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Jason+Golding 

Shifting UHD data via satellite is a really expensive way of delivering bits: as @nigea99 noted above it's just about tolerable for live Sport which is a really expensive additional subscription, but I wouldn't think the sums work for Cinema

There is a Sky Cinema 4K channel in Italy

https://advanced-television.com/2022/01/11/sky-italia-launching-sky-cinema-4k/

Jason+Golding
Topic Author

@xenon81 @Interesting - I don't think the consideration around satellite bandwidth is of concern, as Sky could easily launch this on stream and glass as an incentive to push customers across and not launch it on Q. My underastanding is that Skys current contract with Astra runs up until 2028 and I personally don't see them extension this, by 2028 the majority of customers will be on a streaming platform rather than satellite. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Jason+Golding wrote:

Sky do have a lot, and I mean a lot of UHD movies available on demand on both Sky Q and Sky Glass/Stream but one needs the Sky Ultra HD and Dolby Atmos®  pack.

Sky Cinema channels, themselves are essentially dying (thank Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, etc), and I think in a few years more the majority of Sky Cinema content will be available on-demand or available to be bought instead. Sky may even want to cut the number of Sky Cinema channels down to one or two, like a highlight channels.

I think this was mentioned, but sports in UHD makes sense, as there are commercial premises like pubs and clubs that really benefit from UHD Sky Sports channels. I would imagine Sky need to carefully manage a balance between what customers want and need (in respect to demand). 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@xenon81 wrote:
There is a Sky Cinema 4K channel in Italy

https://advanced-television.com/2022/01/11/sky-italia-launching-sky-cinema-4k/

The UK is considerably ahead of some other European nations in ultrafast broadband rollout: in places with much lower availability, UHD satellite transmission makes more sense. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Jason+Golding
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood @Do you mean behind ?

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion