Discussion topic: The Simosons picture zoomed in

This message was authored by SiddersReeve This message was authored by: SiddersReeve

The Simosons picture zoomed in

Watching The Simpsons on Sky Showcase tonight, it looks as if the picture is zoomed in (no black bars either side). It is an old episode so should be in 4:3, and have checked it's not my TV set up as adverts are correct and is the same on Sky Go.

Is anyone else seeing this? Only noticed in theast week and not sure where to report

Best Answers
This message was authored by PATV+Scunthorpe This message was authored by: PATV+Scunthorpe Answer

Re: The Simosons picture zoomed in

A few years ago, all the old 4:3 episodes of The Simpsons were remastered into a HD edit. I think this was possibly for the American channel FXX which has a full marathon of all episodes.

Many people didn't like it these edits as it does get rid of some of the details from the bottom and top of the picture. Sky did adopt these edits but did revert to using the 4:3 versions because of the same public reaction, some episodes do still go out in the 16:9 format though (in the same way Channel 4 only ever adopted one or two of the remastered episodes and I think do still go out when shown).

The same happened when all episodes were uploaded to Disney+, originally they only uploaded the HD edits, with 4:3 versions being uploaded later on with toggle to decide which versions users wished to watch.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by PATV+Scunthorpe This message was authored by: PATV+Scunthorpe Answer

A few years ago, all the old 4:3 episodes of The Simpsons were remastered into a HD edit. I think this was possibly for the American channel FXX which has a full marathon of all episodes.

Many people didn't like it these edits as it does get rid of some of the details from the bottom and top of the picture. Sky did adopt these edits but did revert to using the 4:3 versions because of the same public reaction, some episodes do still go out in the 16:9 format though (in the same way Channel 4 only ever adopted one or two of the remastered episodes and I think do still go out when shown).

The same happened when all episodes were uploaded to Disney+, originally they only uploaded the HD edits, with 4:3 versions being uploaded later on with toggle to decide which versions users wished to watch.

This message was authored by Raven13 This message was authored by: Raven13

I think that's because sometimes, certain Simpsons episodes are made in different screen ratios (i.e. 14:3)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion