Discussion topic: So you think your TV & sound system is good

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

So you think your TV & sound system is good

If possible, watch this on your biggest TV screen, it'll be much more impressive than on a phone or tablet. This really is quite something special.

All Replies

merv60
Topic Author

Re: So you think your TV & sound system is good

Have to say, I was expecting some comments on this along with the Likes. This is the most incredible advance in audio-visual technology, leaps & bounds ahead of anything we've seen before & yet nobody has anything to say? I find that odd.

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@merv60 wrote:

Have to say, I was expecting some comments on this along with the Likes. This is the most incredible advance in audio-visual technology, leaps & bounds ahead of anything we've seen before & yet nobody has anything to say? I find that odd.

It's a large, pointless flashing dome in an over the top gambling town full of such excesses.... What do you expect? .. 🙂

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
merv60
Topic Author

@Doc5907 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

It's a large, pointless flashing dome in an over the top gambling town full of such excesses.... What do you expect? .. 🙂

And there you go, the reason why I love this " community " forum. 

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@merv60 wrote:

@Doc5907 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

And there you go, the reason why I love this " community " forum. 

In fairness, this is a Sky help forum and your post was neither helpful nor related to Sky programming 🤷‍♂️ 

Still, at least you're getting some comments, which you were hopeful of.

This message was authored by Grilly This message was authored by: Grilly

probably becuase this has naff all to do with Sky!

SkyQ HDR 2TB box
Sky Customer since 1990
merv60
Topic Author

An apology.

I am so sorry for having posted something that I thought others might find interesting. Even though this board is called " What's On " & used to have posts & discussions that were fun & not necessarily about Sky, it is now clear to me that only discussions involving sport or whingeing are allowed here. I deeply regret my actions & from here on in will only post on this board if I do in fact have something to whinge about ( as I don't like sport, it is unlikely I will be posting about it ). 

merv60
Topic Author

Okay, my last post was a tad sarcastic. This one won't be.

Some of you mentioned that my OP has nothing to do with Sky & you're right, it doesn't. But that doesn't matter. Maybe you don't remember or don't know, but the original remit for the What's On board as written by a member of Sky, was for it to be a place where you can help other Sky customers with their queries as well as being somewhere you can discuss TV shows, films, & entertainment in general & it didn't necessarily have to be Sky related. The same was true for the board previously used on here before it had its name changed to What's On. Note that it is called What's On & not What's On Sky. That's the difference.

I remember starting a thread about a really weird ad I had seen about a product that masks odours in your toilet, I even added a YouTube video of the ad. It ran for page after page for over a week, everyone involved had a lot of fun with it & it had absolutely nothing to do with Sky. I also used to submit film reviews on here immediately after seeing a film at the cinema. I had no idea if the film in question was going to be shown on Sky Cinema or not. I did it because it was fun & I enjoyed the feedback from others who had seen the film or were planning on doing so. ( And before anyone mentions the Oracle ( now known as Superuser ) word, this has nothing to do with that. Some of what I'm talking about was when I was an Oracle & some it isn't, it makes no difference ). 

As to my OP, it was mentioned in the video that another sphere may be built in London next. Can all of you honestly say that if that does happen you wouldn't be interested in visiting it, to experience the entertainment it has to offer inside? I know I would.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that this board does not have to be all about Sky, it also does not only have to be a place where we help other customers, & it certainly does not only have to be a board where customers whinge & complain. It can also be a board where we have some fun & decent discussions. It was like that once upon a time, shame it isn't anymore.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@merv60 

I had not clicked on your link until today & I have only quickly scanned through it.

Possibly  because I have not studied it in detail or given too much thought I probably can't say anything with commitment but my gut feeling is it won't live up to the hype

I can't honestly see how it will work  - people sitting next to each other hear different languages without headphones ? I admit I am not an audio scientist   but I really don't think sound waves are that directional (Of course having only scanned it I may have misunderstood what that said)

BTW, personally, I don't have a problem with odd posts being completely non SKY related if they are slightly  SKY Tech related (&  imo Vision & Sound is - but I am biased with my interest in Home Cinema) but it does mean interaction is likely to be lower and not everyone here will agree with me 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

A feat of engineering, I'd be up for visiting if I was ever in Vegas (or London should it be completed)

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
merv60
Topic Author

@nigea99 Thanks for your reply. You heard it right about the different languages, I was also surprised by the claim, but then would they be saying they can do it if they can't? I guess you have something on your seat whereby you choose which language you want. How the directional aspect works I have no idea, but they are using a lot of speakers. 

As for the hype, they do seem confident as they are already talking about building more spheres, firstly in London and then Europe. 

Anyway, cheers for contributing to the thread. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

$2.3 billion dollars worth of power-hungry shiny thing in a desert city now routinely reaching 40 degrees celsius summertime air temperature and running out of water.

At least the inside will be air-conditioned ; )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_at_The_Venetian_Resort 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
merv60
Topic Author

There's a point in the video at 5m 29s where it's showing the screen resolution & it says it is 18K, which I found a bit odd. I may be wrong but don't the resolution numbers go up in groups of 4, so 18K won't be a thing? Having read the Wiki page - thanks @TimmyBGood for that link - it says the screen resolution is 16K which makes more sense. Is 18K possible?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@merv60 wrote:

I may be wrong but don't the resolution numbers go up in groups of 4, so 18K won't be a thing?

I think the key there is aspect ratio: HD to UHD to 8K is a doubling in each dimension for each increment because that keeps a modern flat screen television in the proportions people have come to expect, but there's nothing inherently 'right' about it, and a drastically different screen shape like a hemisphere could well run at another resolution.

1080p-vs-8k.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion