Discussion topic: No dolby atmos on tnt sports ultimate

This message was authored by Jon65 This message was authored by: Jon65

No dolby atmos on tnt sports ultimate

Just watching the man City Newcastle match on tnt sports ultimate on 493. Sound is DD+ which is better than streaming from discovery + as that is only DD surround. Has the move from bt sports killed dolby atmos ?

Still infinitely better for the replacement of Steve McManaman by Ally McCoist.

All Replies

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Re: No dolby atmos on tnt sports ultimate

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jon65 wrote:

Just watching the man City Newcastle match on tnt sports ultimate on 493. Sound is DD+ which is better than streaming from discovery + as that is only DD surround. Has the move from bt sports killed dolby atmos ?

Still infinitely better for the replacement of Steve McManaman by Ally McCoist.

Checking Twitter, some one else had the same complaint and they use Virgin

Discovery + posted this 3 days ago https://twitter.com/dplus_supportUK/status/1692131746379170188?t=c8yisSK28LYcAC8FaN3vdw&s=19

• Good Afternoon, thanks for contacting us with your query. TNT Sports Ultimate will offer fans coverage of selected events in 4K picture resolution with high dynamic range HDR & Dolby Atmos Sound. If you are having any issues please don't hesitate to contact us. Regards, Brian.

So if dolby atmos isn't available, need to contact TnT Sports or Discovery plus support Uk

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

Jon65
Topic Author

Well I have spent considerable time live chatting to discovery + and TNT sports. They could not tell me if they were supplying a dolby atmos soundtrack to sky and advised me to contact sky as it was they would be able to sort it out.

Frankly pretty poor customer service.

Don't they monitor their output on the various carriers?

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Jon65 there is another quite lengthy thread on this board about issues with UHD support with discovery + tnt sports coverage on sky glass/stream. Although I can't quite seem to find the thread at the moment.

seemingly a number of Sky customers have got nowhere contacting discovery plus to get it sorted and now apparently Sky are themselves escalating it with discovery plus for them to get it all sorted as the discovery side of support has been quite lacklustre.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Jon65
Topic Author

Be nice if sky could gave us an update.

This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

BT and VirginMedia forums are asking about the lack of Dolby Atmos on most EPL live games.

The TNT Sport service has seen an overall downgrade since the take over WBD takeover.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

This message was authored by zee82 This message was authored by: zee82

I've just come across this Dolby atmos issue and did a comparison between the Discovery+ app on my Sky Q box vs. the Discovery+ directly on my LG C2 (2022) television for the same Champions League game. 

I was able to obtain a UHD HLG HDR stream and Dolby Atmos sound on the LG app (fantastic). However, for the same game on the Sky app, I was only able to get a UHD HDR picture and Stereo PCM sound - which is a bit strange, despite the game being badged as Dolby Atmos in both platforms. 

I can only deduce that the Sky Discovery+ app has limitations or restrictions. But usually those restrictions are usually picture format compatibility of the Sky box vs. the television, not the sound. I wonder if the Sky app will be updated anytime soon. 

For the record, I am able to get a Dolby Atmos signal on normal Sky channels and downloads. 

Jon65
Topic Author

Not surprised the app on Sky did that, but I have the TNT Sports Ultimate channel 493 and that only has dolby digital plus. TNT are useless and can't tell me if they supply sky with an atmos soundtrack or not. 

This message was authored by Drdense This message was authored by: Drdense

I'm a bit confused by your post. Dolby Atmos is output as dolby digital+ on all streaming services (it is a compressed version to save on bandwidth) but it will use all your speakers and provide object based surround sound.

On my Denon avr it displays this as Atmos/D+ though this will vary on differing AVRs.

Jon65
Topic Author

My denon x1700h displays atmos when it has an atmos soundtrack. It does this on sky, prime, disney+ and Netflix. Tnt sports ultimate shows dolby plus when viewing via sky channel 493 and atmos when streamed from the tv app. Furthermore you can hear a difference.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion