Discussion topic: Grammar!

This message was authored by Beejay8 This message was authored by: Beejay8

Grammar!

Are you as fed up as I am with receiving Sky e mails titled, 'Here's your latest VIP rewards and experiences'?

'Here's' is a shortening of 'here is' which must be followed by a singular noun.  The correct title of these e mails should be: 'Here are your latest VIP rewards and experiences'.

What hope have our schoolteachers got of teaching children correct grammatical speech and writing if a leading media player persists in setting such a poor example?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Grammar!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Beejay8 wrote:

What hope have our schoolteachers got of teaching children correct grammatical speech and writing if a leading media player persists in setting such a poor example?

The leading media players are employing those children...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Beejay8 wrote:

Probably not much, when many schoolteachers are equally guilty of poor grammar, spelling etc.

Beejay8
Topic Author

Thank you both for your responses.  Sadly, both 'here's' and, even more frequently, 'there's' followed by a plural noun are becoming more and more ubiquitous.  I realise that turning this juggernaut around may be a Sisyphean task; however, I hope that someone at Sky is monitoring this thread and will arrange for the regular e mail title to be corrected!

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

Perhaps it's just the natural evolution of language. If that didn't happen we would all still be writing like Chaucer or Shakespeare.

Beejay8
Topic Author

Fair point, but undermining core grammatical structures can lead to an linguistic anarchy leading to loss of clarity, ambiguity, inaccuracy and confusion.  I think there is a difference between positive evolution and simply sloppy use of language.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Beejay8 

Perhaps you could email the Viewer Relations Team at viewerR@sky.uk to express your concerns. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Beejay8
Topic Author

Thank you very much for that suggestion.  I will do that now.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion