Discussion topic: Gillette Soccer Saturday

This message was authored by DorsetJon This message was authored by: DorsetJon

Gillette Soccer Saturday

I LOVE my football,with my go to Saturday afternoon viewing,being Gillette Soccer Saturday.

Or at least it WAS,but no longer.

For me,the nails were already being hammered into the shows coffin,when Jeff Stelling left.

"But has anyone got fed up with the ridiculous amount of commercial breaks the show now has?"

When Jeff was the presenter,he used to say"We are going for a quick break,we'll be back in 40 seconds,you can count them"but commercial breaks WERE few and far between,back then.

The show has now become so disjointed due to these commercial breaks,for us its ruined it.

"Anyone else agree?"

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Gillette Soccer Saturday

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I think the ad breaks are more or less the same, same are quick 40 seconds breaks where they show just a program trailer and then go back while other are longer breaks especially around around the time when the full time whistles are being blown.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

I have not noticed any difference in the length or frequency of the ad breaks. I can't say I'm keen on Simon Thomas as the presenter though. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@DorsetJon wrote:

I LOVE my football,with my go to Saturday afternoon viewing,being Gillette Soccer Saturday.

Or at least it WAS,but no longer.

For me,the nails were already being hammered into the shows coffin,when Jeff Stelling left.

"But has anyone got fed up with the ridiculous amount of commercial breaks the show now has?"

When Jeff was the presenter,he used to say"We are going for a quick break,we'll be back in 40 seconds,you can count them"but commercial breaks WERE few and far between,back then.

The show has now become so disjointed due to these commercial breaks,for us its ruined it.

"Anyone else agree?"

@DorsetJon The rules haven't changed and they still need to comply with the maximum number of advertising minutes per hour. From memory, it's 9 minutes per hour.

The show itself is no longer the same, which I think is the underlying reason for such discontent from people online. All things need to evolve but Soccer Saturday hasn't fared well with its changes, sadly.

DorsetJon
Topic Author

@d2h agreed,which is why ive reverted back to radio 5 live.

And coming from a family who unfortunately have seen a loved take his own life through gambling,the constant barrage of gambling adverts across the whole of the sky sports network,does VERY LITTLE for those poor souls who are right now battling a gambling addiction,or for families like ours,who are left behind to pick up the pieces.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

There have been no changes in the number of adverts, it is as before.

Previous Saturdays, Simon has quibbled a few times about 40 seconds.

I for one thought I would very much miss Jeff, well I do, but think Simon is doing ok.

Not sure he really has as much of the strong or long established personality that Jeff bought to screen, but I still love the concept of Soccer Saturday and the similar evening ones during the week with other presenters.

Enjoying the new referee  spots too with Mike Dean, generates some good friendly banter with the pundits, which is what a good part of the programme idea is all about.

If you get a chance, get on one of the visits to watch it live in the studio, often through Mysky VIP, done that in the past and it was a great fun day.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by MARKIE52 This message was authored by: MARKIE52

soccer sat

sat soccer more adverts know than last years the host misses  out more resultes that comes in just because this week his intrest was one being promoted and ones relagated  leaves out a lot of results he is worse than jeff know 2 mins before kick of they go into a add not one two or three some times more this show spends more time on adds that what its there for theresultes coming in  

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: soccer sat

@MARKIE52 

There are strict regulations on the length/frequency of ad breaks. I watch GSS on a Saturday and haven't noticed an increase.  

I have moved your post into a recent similar thread. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Rubylove199 This message was authored by: Rubylove199

Can't say I've noticed more ads than before; I think it was just that Jeff and the show as a whole was so much fun that you didn't mind waiting before getting back to the programme! So much enjoyed my Saturday afternoons listening to JS's brilliantly witty comments, his daft names for teams (like 'Roath Ravers'!) and the easy way he talked to everyone. He wasn't averse to telling the panel to shut up either! Unfortunately, Simon Thomas has all the charisma of a sack of potatoes. In the first 15 minutes of the programme, he just doesn't stop talking; the rest of the panel are almost superflous until finally they're allowed to speak. But far and away the worst part of all is the excruciatingly boring 40 minutes or so spent on pointless discussions about penalty decisions that happened a week ago. No amount of talking will change anything, so why Sky felt it necessary to have Mike Dean as part of the panel is beyond me, unless it's just to bicker with Paul Merson, who looks increasingly disinterested. I just watch from 3pm now; the rest of it is not worth bothering with any more.

This message was authored by MARKIE52 This message was authored by: MARKIE52

Re: soccer sat

i have every week 

DorsetJon
Topic Author

There is DEFINITELY more ad breaks,thats not just me saying that.

I was in our local pub on Saturday,avidly watching the vidi printer,only to have the submersion ruined by the repeated gambling ad's,a point which was picked up by four or five of the saturday crew,in the pub.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion