Discussion topic: Sky box turning itself off

This message was authored by canunot This message was authored by: canunot

Sky box turning itself off

My sky box keeps turning itself off 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Sky box turning itself off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more
Could be many reasons, like overheating, failing power supply Try a software update, Instructions can be found here Though i doubt it’ll help as it’s more likely to be a hardware issue
This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br

Hi @canunot,

@Annie+UK is right, there's lots of reasons which could cause this. To get some extra info, could you tell the community...

• Is anything touching the standby button on top of the sky box? e.g. a dvd player
  • Do the lights on the Sky box change colour/go off?

Thanks. 🙂

Mark
Community Manager

This message was authored by Robbie-SkyHD This message was authored by: Robbie-SkyHD

wrote:

My sky box keeps turning itself off 

Hi @canunot

When you say the box is turning itself off, can you elaborate do you mean it's turning off imminently, or is it turning off after watching TV and nobody uses the remote for around 4 hours (2 hours between 11pm - 4am) normally occurs if your watching a film or the same channel without the need to touch the remote.

If this is the case then this is called 'Auto Standby' and you can turn this feature off i wouldn't recommend it but of course everyone has their opinion.

Auto Standby

Take your remote press Services - -> Options - -> Scroll down to Standby Mode (remember to press GREEN to save your preference)

ECO: This option is only available on DRX890 & DRX895 Sky+HD boxes and DRX 595 SkyHD boxes. ECO mode includes the features of Active mode but with one additional benefit. Between 2:45am - 5:45am your Sky box will automatically go into Passive Standby “Red Power LED”. 
Passive Standby should be thought of as more or less equivalent to switching your Sky box off at the wall. Your Sky box will consume less than 0.5w of power. If you have programs scheduled to be recorded during those times, your box will delay going into Passive Standby until after the recordings have finished. Your box will boot up again around 5:45am and remain in Active standby until you use it. 

Active: If you do not press a button on your Sky remote for 4 hours (2 hours between 11pm – 4am) then your Sky box will automatically go into Active Standby “Red Power LED” (Amber Power LED on DRX890 & DRX895 Sky+HD boxes and DRX 595 SkyHD boxes).

None: Your Sky box will not automatically go into standby.

Regards,

Robbie-SkyHD
Sky Community Forum Oracle 2016 & 2017

Sky Q 2TB with 3x Mini Boxes, Sky Signature, SkyHD, Ultra HD, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports HD, iPad Air 2 , iPhone 11 Pro, Apple TV 4K, iOS Public BETA Tester, Sky's Product BETA Tester
This message was authored by xfdtyhjgc This message was authored by: xfdtyhjgc

I am having this trouble. Slight burning smell from the tv area and now when I power it up it switches the green light on briefly and then automatically turns amber and does not turn on. Do I need a new box?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

From a safety perspective alone, yes, your Sky box needs to be replaced. Either call Sky who will replace it for their usual callout charge of £65, or consider a used box from eBay etc. There's no shortage - just be sure to opt for a DRX890 of DRX895 model.

This message was authored by xfdtyhjgc This message was authored by: xfdtyhjgc

Thanks. 

This message was authored by Adenuff66 This message was authored by: Adenuff66

Mine has started doing this. I have read the posts here and there is no heater object on or nearby other than th e TV . This sounds like another hardware problem. My first box was replaced in four weeks! I hope it's not but am open to suggestions. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Adenuff66 wrote:

Mine has started doing this. I have read the posts here and there is no heater object on or nearby other than th e TV . This sounds like another hardware problem. My first box was replaced in four weeks! I hope it's not but am open to suggestions. 

Tell us more about what your Sky box is doing (I'm assuming it's Sky+ as that's where you've posted) and what you've tried so far?

This message was authored by roadrabbit This message was authored by: roadrabbit

Please explain why you would not recommend switching off the Auto Standby Mode function? For my wife and me it is just a nuisance with no apparent benefit.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I have a similar problem - After booting up and receiving all channels etc the box turns itself off after about 1 minute andautomaticly back on again at the previous channel but goes off after about 1 minute and so on.

Any ideas to solve the problem ?

So will re-setting the HD fix the problem ?

Depends, if it is a faulty power supply then I doubt rebooting/factory resetting will do anything

No power issues  -  So is the bottom line  -  New Box ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion