Discussion topic: Moving home

This message was authored by PMS123 This message was authored by: PMS123

Moving home

I will shortly be moving home.

House sale exchanged but can't find house to buy so will be renting for 6-12 months.

I have several questions.

I currently have Sky+ box with a dish.

1. what happens if a landlord says no dish allowed?

2. in that scenario what options do I have to continue to watch Sky?

3. I understand I could have sky stream but that does not allow recording, so if I did that for my rental period and then, when moved, put the dish on my new house - what happens to the dish in the meantime (ie while I am renting)? Do Sky take it or do I have to keep it somewhere?

4. what happens to recordings on my Sky+ box - are they lost forever or would they be available once a dish is back in place, at a later date?

I would imagine these are not unusual queries but thank you for any answers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Moving home

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PMS123 wrote:

1. what happens if a landlord says no dish allowed?

Then you can't have Sky+, Sky Q or Freesat reception

2. in that scenario what options do I have to continue to watch Sky?

Sky Glass or Sky Stream (bandwidth permitting).  Sky Go, if you keep paying the Sky+ subscription.

3. I understand I could have sky stream but that does not allow recording, so if I did that for my rental period and then, when moved, put the dish on my new house - what happens to the dish in the meantime (ie while I am renting)? Do Sky take it or do I have to keep it somewhere?

Dishes become the property of the houseowner upon installation: Sky does not remove them once installed.

4. what happens to recordings on my Sky+ box - are they lost forever or would they be available once a dish is back in place, at a later date?

If you've kept the Sky+ subscription going then they should  be available.  If the subscription ceases then Sky will only supply a new one on Q hardware, and the old hard drive becomes unreachable.  Note that even if you keep the Sky+ subscription, disk access will cease at some point when there's no satellite signal subscription confirmation.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
PMS123
Topic Author

Thank you @TimmyBGood 

Much appreciated

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) are/is aware or not if it is planned for Sky stream to get a recording facility, similar to BT TV ?

Thanks

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PMS123 wrote:

if it is planned for Sky stream to get a recording facility

The current Stream hardware has no on-board storage (other than a small amount of buffer for 'Live Pause') and so will never 'record' locally.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/your-playlist-and-tv-guide-sky-glass 

@PMS123 wrote:

similar to BT TV

I'd note that the EE TV Box Mini, which is closer to being a Stream competitor, does not record.

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/youview-boxes-and-multi-room/bt-tv-box-mini 

PMS123
Topic Author

Thank you again @TimmyBGood 

My brother has BT TV with Sky Sports and Cinema and his box allows him to record - I think its up to 1TB of space.

The only problem is you must have BT (or EE as it is now) domestic broadband and I use BT Business.

I understand Sky stream can be used with any broadband provider so looks like I'll try that at least during rental period and see how it goes before deciding what to do when we purchase.

Thanks again

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@PMS123 wrote:

Thank you again @TimmyBGood 

My brother has BT TV with Sky Sports and Cinema and his box allows him to record - I think its up to 1TB of space.

The only problem is you must have BT (or EE as it is now) domestic broadband and I use BT Business.

I understand Sky stream can be used with any broadband provider so looks like I'll try that at least during rental period and see how it goes before deciding what to do when we purchase.

Thanks again

Note that if you get Sky Stream your Sky+ subscription will cease and you won't be allowed to get it back when you get your new property. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
PMS123
Topic Author

Thank you @oj01 - I understand that but not worth paying just to keep recordings so will likely have to go with Sky stream.

In an ideal world, or the near future, Sky stream will get a hard drive facility.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

It will be interesting to see if Freely release a  box with a HDD... probably not🤔

EE (BT) TV can support recording because EE (BT) TV are locked to EE (BT) broadband😉

Exiled in HH
PMS123
Topic Author

So I believe

Thanks @Exiled-in-HH 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion