Discussion topic: UHD/Dolby Atmos

This message was authored by Cooper+D This message was authored by: Cooper+D

UHD/Dolby Atmos

I have just bought a new Sony XR50X90SU 4K UHD HDR LED TV.

Is there a particular HDMI port you need to use to get the full advantage of the UHD/DOLBY ATMOS that is provided via Stream and how can you check to see if you are actually receiving Atmos. I have heard about HDMI 2.1 but I don't actually know what it means. Thanks in advance.

All my opinions are my own.

All Replies

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: UHD/Dolby Atmos

HDMI 2.1 is just an updated standard with higher capacity.

If you buy a 2.1 HDMI cable just ensure it is certified BUT do not buy a silly priced cable ... plenty available online at reasonable prices😉

What sort of sound system do you have?

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

HDMI 2.1 is the latest version of HDMI which has a higher bandwidth meaning it can push more data through.

If you're TV is new, HDMI 2.1 should be on all ports with one being set aside for eARC but you're best to check directly with the TV manufacturer. It should say in the instruction booklet or you should be able to find it via a quick Google search.

I believe the HDMI cable supplied with the Puck is HDMI 2.0 which is perfectly fine unless you're using the eARC connection for output to an external audio source, in which case change all your HDMI cables for 2.1. These can also be marketed as 8K ready but you can pick them up for around £10.

This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@Cooper+D wrote:

I have just bought a new Sony XR50X90SU 4K UHD HDR LED TV.

Is there a particular HDMI port you need to use to get the full advantage of the UHD/DOLBY ATMOS that is provided via Stream and how can you check to see if you are actually receiving Atmos. I have heard about HDMI 2.1 but I don't actually know what it means. Thanks in advance.

Any of the four HDMI ports should be fine for UHD but stick with one of the two HDMI 2.1 ports for maximum compatibility. One of the 2.1 ports is also the eARC socket which you should have connected to your Atmos capable soundbar or AVR to get the full Atmos experience. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion