Discussion topic: Stopping "To save energy, your device is going into standby mode"

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: Stopping "To save energy, your device is going into standby mode"

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tlc2  It can be very annoying but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it.  Although we are no longer in the EU the pucks and Sky streaming platform are used in many EU countries.  I can't see Sky making a changes just for the UK market.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Identiti This message was authored by: Identiti

I think it's ridiculous the option is there in the first place if it doesn't work, I want mine left on to update apps and it makes no difference. Stupid technology. It's not the EU it's that stupid Paris agreement and carbon credits **bleep**. EV chargers are next with time slots. They will be turning the whole grid off or house for power saving for us if they have their way. 

This message was authored by Marmite61 This message was authored by: Marmite61

I get the power saving switch off after a few hours with no interaction with the remote. But why does it shut down after I have paused the puck for 5 minutes?! It's doing my swede in. I often pause what I'm watching to go do a quick chore/make tea/loo break. But now I have to keep dashing back and pressing a button to ensure my programme doesn't shut down if I'm going to be longer than 5 Minutes. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Marmite61 It's a but of faffing around but what I tend to do is press the right arrow to bring up the progress bar and then make a mental note of the progress (i.e. 37 minutes).  I then rewind for as long as I think I will be away from the TV.  When I get back the programme is usually close to where I stopped watching but if not I use voice control or the FF/RW function to get it back to the 37 minute mark.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Marmite61 wrote:

I get the power saving switch off after a few hours with no interaction with the remote. But why does it shut down after I have paused the puck for 5 minutes?! It's doing my swede in. I often pause what I'm watching to go do a quick chore/make tea/loo break. But now I have to keep dashing back and pressing a button to ensure my programme doesn't shut down if I'm going to be longer than 5 Minutes. 

Yes its annoyng.
Another tip to try, when the timing is right.
For any linear content, I've got in the habit of just hitting select and then 'Watch from Start', which works for most linear channels, then when back just ff to where I left off.

I Myself have put in a few complaints on this quick pause one and the longer switch off to VR.

They did pass it on further up the Sky chain for reference and a response for clarification, so if many more do same, it may one day produce an option to switch the annoyance off or something similar.

Send an email to the Sky Viewer relations team;
ViewerR@sky.uk

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Good tip, thanks 👍

Thanks. I'll try that 👍

@lettice I fully agree this "feature" is very annoying.  The problem I find with watch from start is that once you have done so, particularly with BBC iPlayer, you then get every future programme appearing in the CW rail with no way to stop or delete it.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@Fothergill1 wrote:

@lettice I fully agree this "feature" is very annoying.  The problem I find with watch from start is that once you have done so, particularly with BBC iPlayer, you then get every future programme appearing in the CW rail with no way to stop or delete it.

Yes, think we should omit the use of above feature fix with BBC, as it does work differently compared to the rest.

Do not watch much on BBC anyway, so not so much of a problem I have seen.

But yes it seems very over sensitive in its adding to the rail and will add the following  programme to your CW list, as it follows quicker, mainly because of no ad slots after the programme change.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by AllanMcNeill This message was authored by: AllanMcNeill

This is the reason that I'm cancelling in December. If I'd known about the eco mode, I would have never (downgraded) to glass from Q. I'll never return to Sky. I think they forget that this is an EU thing and we are not longer in the EU. Apple TV ftw!

@AllanMcNeill  Whilst I agree it is very annoying the fact that UK is no longer in the EU is not relevant as Sky stream & Glass are also sold to EU countries so has to be compliant.  I just wish it didn't kick in so quickly.

This message was authored by AllanMcNeill This message was authored by: AllanMcNeill

It's like a game or Russian Roulette with Sky now. Is it gonna be 20 minutes? Is it gonna be an hour? It's way too random. I don't see why the can't have it to 3 hours or something, and deactivate it while watching a movie. If Glass wasn't so expensive, I would have thrown the remote through it long ago. Although I'm still paying my contract until December, I no longer use Sky (apart from the Sky Go app). I got an Apple TV box and I love it. Was thinking of EE TV, but the thought of another contract put me off.

This message was authored by _Clive_ This message was authored by: _Clive_

I've used just about every available TV stream and recording box. The Sky Stream has by far the strictest power saving cutoff.

I'm sure it could be eased a lot without breaking any regulations. 

@AllanMcNeill wrote:

It's like a game or Russian Roulette with Sky now. Is it gonna be 20 minutes? Is it gonna be an hour? It's way too random. I don't see why the can't have it to 3 hours or something, and deactivate it while watching a movie. If Glass wasn't so expensive, I would have thrown the remote through it long ago. Although I'm still paying my contract until December, I no longer use Sky (apart from the Sky Go app). I got an Apple TV box and I love it. Was thinking of EE TV, but the thought of another contract put me off.

@AllanMcNeill I know what you are saying.. The power & Energy saving option on my Samsung TV has 4, 6 and 8 hour setting and I can disable it altogether if I wish.  I also have an ATV 4K which I quite often use, it is obviously a completely different system but they certainly have their act together.

The best thing I did was to sell my Glass TV and move to a Samsung TV and soundbar with a stream puck.   

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion