Discussion topic: Sky puck

This message was authored by Lisavm This message was authored by: Lisavm

Sky puck

We have been having real issues for ages in trying to get into apps such as Disney, lionsgate and Netflix...apparently our WiFi is ok according to sky, but it's still slow, the fibre will cost too much, and they won't do a good deal, but it's getting to a point that  we can't even get into the apps. The settings are constantly saying updating on the puck and we refresh our apps a lot. It's getting pretty annoying! Any ideas? X

All Replies

This message was authored by UnrealityTV This message was authored by: UnrealityTV

Re: Sky puck

@Lisavm 

What speed is your broadband? If you're not getting 30Mbps minimum then you'll never get on well with Sky Stream. 

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

You really need a minimum of 30mbps to the Puck... 

Lisavm
Topic Author

We get about 44 x

Lisavm
Topic Author

We get about 44

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Open Netflix and run a speed test through that app .. you could be getting 40+ to your hub but a lot less via WiFi...

Lisavm
Topic Author

@Nigelb1972 how do I do that? Can I do the same for lionsgate and Disney too? X

This message was authored by UnrealityTV This message was authored by: UnrealityTV

@Lisavm wrote:

@Nigelb1972 how do I do that? Can I do the same for lionsgate and Disney too? X

Open Netflix, navigate to the Get Help menu and run a network test. This will show you the actual speed being received. 

@Lisavm you don't need to test every app but the Netflix one is pretty accurate and will give you a good idea of the speed your puck is recieving over WiFi. It's always better to use an ethernet connection if you can..

Lisavm
Topic Author

So I've done the check on Netflix and it's 44.05mbps

That should be plenty as long as nobody else is using the connection. Sky recommend at least 25mbps but I'm currently watching Sky Sports F1 in UHD and it's ripping through 35mbps of my available 120mbps so I think you might be close to maxing out your broadband connection and that'll cause issues. If you can get full fibre, it might be worthwhile looking into a faster connection.

I'm upgrading to 500mbps through Sky for far less than I'm paying BT for 120mbps on G-Fast because we're getting close to maxing it out at times.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion