Discussion topic: Dose Sky have plans to make the Sky Stream puck software more user friendly?

This message was authored by electricmonk This message was authored by: electricmonk

Dose Sky have plans to make the Sky Stream puck software more user friendly?

Can we look forward to a user friendly update of the Sky Stream display?

I have just migrated from Sky Q to Sky Stream, to take advantage of the modern technology, including more UHD and Atmos.

However, I am disappointed with the user unfriendly  interface.

All previously linked  Sky Q programmes have been added to Stream playlist.

The problem is that all of these programmes are there all the time, not just when there is a new episode on Sky or a linked app. 

An update is needed so that only a new episode is shown on Sky Stream Playlist.

I have also used an Apple TV4K for some years. It's interface is user friendly.

It only shows new episodes of linked programmes  from Apple TV+, Prime, ITVX, C4, C5, iPlayer, Paramount, Disney etc. There is also the option to mark an app programme as 'watched' if it has been watched other than on it's app.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Dose Sky have plans to make the Sky Stream puck software more user friendly?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

There have been various suggestions here on how to improve the Playlist. Sky haven't announced any planned changes, but they rarely do that anyway, so I wouldn't draw any conclusion from that. It's a matter of 'wait and see' I'm afraid.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Dose Sky have plans to make the Sky Stream puck software more user friendly?

There have been various suggestions here on how to improve the Playlist. Sky haven't announced any planned changes, but they rarely do that anyway, so I wouldn't draw any conclusion from that. It's a matter of 'wait and see' I'm afraid.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

When new episodes become available a show moves up to the front of the playlist.

the playlist is essentially

skys version of the watchlist/playlist that all the streaming services have  and works in the same way really.

The continue watching rail pops up the next episode of a show you have started watching when it's available.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

electricmonk
Topic Author
This message was authored by electricmonk This message was authored by: electricmonk

Re: Does Sky have plans to make the Sky Stream puck software more user friendly?

Thanks for your feedback. As a Sky customer in his 22nd year, I understand how the playlist works at the moment, but my point is that it is not very user friendly, compared with other streaming apps or the Sky Q user interface it has replaced.

The current Sky Stream display is nowhere near as user friendly as Apple TV,  Netflix or Sky Q.

Paramount and Disney are better than Sky Stream but have their foibles, like adding a series to the watch list that cannot be easily removed.

Amazon Prime is as disorganised as Sky Stream

I do not know what you mean by " The continue watching rail ".

I have the home page which shows recent apps, programmes and 'continue watching', which remains even if the programme has been watched.

Below that is the Playlist option, which only has a 'show all' option.

Then the TV Shows option, which seems to be a filtered playlist.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

I think predominately Sky have design the tech to primarily be used by voice search, which is perhaps by the UI is let down in some areas.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Personally I think the UI is one of the better aspects of the system ....

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

I think if there's going to be any updates these would be Comcast wide as they seem to rolling out this tech across their portfolio and seems to be doing it quite successfully as they're one of the few media/cable companies that is actually profitable...

@Jporch316 wrote:

I too quite like the UI.

ive used most of the other streaming apps and have to same I prefer the Sky UI to most of them.

NOT a Sky Employee

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@Jporch316 wrote:

I too quite like the UI.

ive used most of the other streaming apps and have to same I prefer the Sky UI to most of them.

Netflix, prime are far too busy, firestick is chock full of adverts and bloat, sky q is looking its age 

Disney and stream are by far the best UI s 

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

I've also got a virgin stream box. The UI is ok .... but confusing in the navigation 

electricmonk
Topic Author

Re: Does Sky have plans to make the Sky Stream puck software more user friendly?

@Jporch316 

@MarkGoldsmith 

If you get the opportunity take a look at the Apple TV interface and you will understand where I am coming from.

Sky Stream just has the Playlist which lists everything, all the time, watched programmes included.

Fundementally I would have been happy with the same user operability as the Sky Q interface, but, compared with Sky Q, Sky Stream is technically superior, but the interface is a step or two backwards.

Got to admit i'd like a better status on the playlist, just something that easily flagged if i've watched all currently available episodes of a show or if a new episode is available. 

I know the show moves to the front of the playlist when there is a new episode, but if you have got dozens of shows playlisted, they can't all be at the front and that can be annoying going through all the show pages.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Playlisting programmes on apps without an active subscription is a major defect😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

Playlisting programmes on apps without an active subscription is a major defect😉

Or an upsell opportunity? I agree it should be possible disabled sports etc, but I can't see that they would 😞

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360
This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie

@electricmonk wrote:

@Jporch316 

@MarkGoldsmith 

If you get the opportunity take a look at the Apple TV interface and you will understand where I am coming from.

Sky Stream just has the Playlist which lists everything, all the time, watched programmes included.

Fundementally I would have been happy with the same user operability as the Sky Q interface, but, compared with Sky Q, Sky Stream is technically superior, but the interface is a step or two backwards.

We're all different, I have Virgin Stream, Sky Stream, ATV, webOS and Android TV (with the Google TV interface) and IMHO EntertainmenOS is the best UX on the worst hardware.  The Sky Q UX for me is simply a poor relation.

If tvOS had integration with Netflix in channels then it would be the best but it doesn't (and still doesn't have HLG iPlayer!).

The v360 interface is more like a pretty version of Roku and the better of the two Stream platforms for hardware on the worst UX.

The good thing, however, is that we are allowed to have our own opinions. 🙂

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion