Discussion topic: Dolby vision failure

This message was authored by Adm010 This message was authored by: Adm010

Dolby vision failure

Hi. Im finding any streamed show, from any platform that uses Dolby Vision just wont playback.  Itll keep stuttering, loose sound, and then crash whichever app im using - mainly Netflix and Disney.  Almost naything new is **bleep** in the format, and im having to watch them on my phone as theyre unwatchable on my Sky box. Box and TV are all upto date.  Have turned off and on again repeatedly.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam Answer

Re: Dolby vision failure

@Adm010 wrote:

Hi. Thanks for responding and thoughts. The cable is pretty good quality though as it's all part of a nice home  cinema set up, so pretty confident it's not the HDMI.  Audioquest Chocolate I think it was. Plays 4K Blu-ray no dramas.  Appreciate the thought though - everything is worth checking!

Audioquest Chocolate cables are only rated to carry up to 18Gbps. 
A £10 certified HDMI 2.1 cable can carry up to 48Gbps. 
I think you'd be best trying a new cable. Expensive HDMI cables (which Audioquest are) can quickly date. A £10 cable can give you exactly the same image/sound quality & are easy to replace if anything goes wrong with them. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Adm010 wrote:

Hi. Im finding any streamed show, from any platform that uses Dolby Vision just wont playback.  Itll keep stuttering, loose sound, and then crash whichever app im using - mainly Netflix and Disney.  Almost naything new is **bleep** in the format, and im having to watch them on my phone as theyre unwatchable on my Sky box. Box and TV are all upto date.  Have turned off and on again repeatedly.

Dolby Vision uses higher bandwidth so you need fast HDMI cables to cope with it. Buy a certified HDMI 2.1 cable (less than 3 metres long) from Amazon (about £8 - £10) and it should help. 

Adm010
Topic Author

Hi. Thanks for responding and thoughts. The cable is pretty good quality though as it's all part of a nice home  cinema set up, so pretty confident it's not the HDMI.  Audioquest Chocolate I think it was. Plays 4K Blu-ray no dramas.  Appreciate the thought though - everything is worth checking!

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam Answer

@Adm010 wrote:

Audioquest Chocolate cables are only rated to carry up to 18Gbps. 
A £10 certified HDMI 2.1 cable can carry up to 48Gbps. 
I think you'd be best trying a new cable. Expensive HDMI cables (which Audioquest are) can quickly date. A £10 cable can give you exactly the same image/sound quality & are easy to replace if anything goes wrong with them. 

Adm010
Topic Author

Ah ok. Bum. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Guess it's new cable time and fingers crossed.  Thanks for your help

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Adm010 wrote:

Ah ok. Bum. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Guess it's new cable time and fingers crossed.  Thanks for your help

No probs. Hope you get it sorted. 

Adm010
Topic Author

Hi, just to let you know, i swapped out a cheap, but different cable and yep, seems to be sorted.  Who knew. Thanks again for your help, would never have thought of the cable being an issue

@Adm010 wrote:

Hi, just to let you know, i swapped out a cheap, but different cable and yep, seems to be sorted.  Who knew. Thanks again for your help, would never have thought of the cable being an issue

Great - glad you got it sorted. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion