Discussion topic: 5.1 surround sound from puck

This message was authored by Dansmith1308 This message was authored by: Dansmith1308

5.1 surround sound from puck

Hi I've just recievee my new sky puck and I'm having issues getting any 5.1 surround sound from the puck. Breakdown of setup.

I have the sky puck attached to the TV via the supplied hdmi, the TV is a Panasonic tx- 55gx555b fully capable of dolby digital etc and the sky puck is connected to hdmi 1. I have a Sony blu Ray home theatre bdv-e2100 connected with the relevant hdmi to hdmi 2(arc input) on the TV. 

I have the TV audio setting set to passthrough, I have used the auto setting on the sky puck and no sound, I have also used the dolby digital plus and dolby digital setting and still no sound, also the passthrough setting has no sound. The only setting that works is the pcm setting and this only produces stereo sound through the hometheatre. I have tried all sky channels and all apps which state 5m1 surround sound on the titles and still nothing. 

Am I doing something wrong here? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I have sky's basic package no uhd etc so I understand I won't get dolby digital plus but atleast expected 5.1 or am I wrong?

Any other info needed I'll be happy to share 😊 

Best Answers
This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker Answer

Re: 5.1 surround sound from puck

@Dansmith1308 wrote:

Hi I've just recievee my new sky puck and I'm having issues getting any 5.1 surround sound from the puck. Breakdown of setup.

I have the sky puck attached to the TV via the supplied hdmi, the TV is a Panasonic tx- 55gx555b fully capable of dolby digital etc and the sky puck is connected to hdmi 1. I have a Sony blu Ray home theatre bdv-e2100 connected with the relevant hdmi to hdmi 2(arc input) on the TV. 

I have the TV audio setting set to passthrough, I have used the auto setting on the sky puck and no sound, I have also used the dolby digital plus and dolby digital setting and still no sound, also the passthrough setting has no sound. The only setting that works is the pcm setting and this only produces stereo sound through the hometheatre. I have tried all sky channels and all apps which state 5m1 surround sound on the titles and still nothing. 

I have sky's basic package no uhd etc so I understand I won't get dolby digital plus but atleast expected 5.1 or am I wrong?

Looking through the PDF manual for your  Panasonic TV, it does support ARC. Couple of things stood out:

Do you have any other devices attached to your TV? If so, are they able to pass Dolby Digital or similar through your TV to your home cinema device?

In the Sound menu, there is a setting for Digital Out. The manual doesn't list what options are available. Is there a setting for pass through, bitstream or similar (as opposed to stereo or PCM). Could it be your TV is receiving a Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus signal from your Sky Puck and then 'downsampling' to stereo PCM to send to your home cinema box? (If you've set your TV to pass through already, is this where you set it?)

There is also a Speakers option under System Menu > More, with an option to set the audio output to Amplifier (which I'm guessing your home cinema box qualifies as).. What is this setting set to at the moment?

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Sally_Sparrow This message was authored by: Sally_Sparrow

@Dansmith1308 

I'd recommend that you try connecting an optical cable between your TV and the Sony home theatre. This will function better than HDMI ARC and should give you 5.1 audio from the Stream puck. The Sony is not Atmos capable so you will no be missing out on anything by connecting via optical.  

This message was authored by CoffeeDrinker This message was authored by: CoffeeDrinker Answer

@Dansmith1308 wrote:

Looking through the PDF manual for your  Panasonic TV, it does support ARC. Couple of things stood out:

Do you have any other devices attached to your TV? If so, are they able to pass Dolby Digital or similar through your TV to your home cinema device?

In the Sound menu, there is a setting for Digital Out. The manual doesn't list what options are available. Is there a setting for pass through, bitstream or similar (as opposed to stereo or PCM). Could it be your TV is receiving a Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus signal from your Sky Puck and then 'downsampling' to stereo PCM to send to your home cinema box? (If you've set your TV to pass through already, is this where you set it?)

There is also a Speakers option under System Menu > More, with an option to set the audio output to Amplifier (which I'm guessing your home cinema box qualifies as).. What is this setting set to at the moment?

Sky Glass & Streak Puck customer w/Sky Entertainments & Netflix, Sky Cinema, Whole Home & UHD/Dolby Atmos add-on.
Dansmith1308
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dansmith1308 This message was authored by: Dansmith1308

Thanks for the response after not realising the extra setting in the settings more regarding display speakers or amplifier I changed it over to amplifier and it started working, 😀 great news I also got rid of the hdmi as the other answer suggested and then I was able to switch it back to display speakers but also still get 5.1 through the surround sound so think they both did the trick and now it works perfectly. Many thanks for the help 🙏 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion