Discussion topic: Why would anyone leave SkyQ for Sky Stream?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Why would anyone leave SkyQ for Sky Stream?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TheRochdaleCowboy 

Of course it can be done technically, if the platform provider is prepared to pay for enough server farm space and can acquire the appropriate distribution rights.  In the UK multiple channels have their own distribution apps and just don't want Sky hosting their content (nor would it make economic or environmental sense for Sky to duplicate it)

What Ignite describes there is actually very similar to how Sky claims Stream works...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

But Sky isn't forcing anyone to change from SkyQ to Stream, however it is the future.

This message was authored by AndrueCope This message was authored by: AndrueCope

I will quit Sky (after more than 24 years) if I lose the ability to jump past adverts. Sky Glass supposedly has an extra feature to allow that but last I heard it was a bit hit-or-miss. I'm fine with it only being an option on streamed content since I haven't watched live TV since Sky+ was launched.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AndrueCope wrote:

Sky Glass supposedly has an extra feature to allow that but last I heard it was a bit hit-or-miss. 

With the Ad Skipping TV pack, you'll be able to fast forward through adverts when using:

Live Pause - up to the live broadcast only

Restart / 'Watch from start'

Playlist

On Demand

You can also fast forward adverts in the ITVX, STV Player and All4 TV apps.

The Ad Skipping pack doesn't mean that you won't see any adverts. It just lets you fast forward through the ads using the relevant remote control buttons and on screen menu options for what you're watching. It doesn't fast forward ads in:

Live TV; or

Other TV apps, like Netflix, YouTube or Spotify.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ad-skipping-sky-glass 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mister_Dalek This message was authored by: Mister_Dalek

@AndrueCope wrote:

I will quit Sky (after more than 24 years) if I lose the ability to jump past adverts. Sky Glass supposedly has an extra feature to allow that but last I heard it was a bit hit-or-miss. I'm fine with it only being an option on streamed content since I haven't watched live TV since Sky+ was launched.

You can easily get rid of adverts completely on most streaming services simply by paying extra. 

I don't watch live TV either, everything is streamed on demand. I have discounted subscriptions to ITVX Premium, Channel 4+, Netflix Premium, Disney+, Apple TV+ and NOW with Ultra Boost, all of which remove adverts completely (apart from the Sky-owned NOW which of course pushes 30 seconds of un-skippable promo for their own content before playing most things!)

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@TimmyBGood wrote:

You can also fast forward adverts in the ITVX, STV Player and All4 TV apps.

Plus, do not forget all the Five channels, in the My5 app.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion