Discussion topic: Upgrade

This message was authored by Drumcondra This message was authored by: Drumcondra

Upgrade

Hi. I currently have SKYQ with a dish. I was wondering if I could have full fibre? What I want is to have a HDD recording. not streeming. I have people around me who are not happy with glass as it is not full fibre at the picture stalls frequently.

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: Upgrade

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Drumcondra   Only Sky Q has recording to disk drive.

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Drumcondra   To see if Sky Full Fibre is available, use the Openreach Broadband Checker  

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Not sure of the question - but 'full fibre' is separate to your Q box that still requires a dish.

Upgrading your internet may allow faster downloads but the dish stays...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Drumcondra
Topic Author
This message was authored by Drumcondra This message was authored by: Drumcondra

Ok. Full fibre is available for Virgin media so I asmued that it would be for SKY also. If full broadband requres SKY glass then that would not work for me. I have tried VM straming TV. ITV will not allow fast forward of TV content or adverts. This is not a problem with other broadcasts. With SKYQ that is not a problem.

Drumcondra
Topic Author

Not sure what this means

Availability.jpg

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Drumcondra 

Getting FTTP from an Openreach ISP such as Sky has no requirement to use Sky Glass instead of Sky Q.  Subscription television from Sky is separate to Sky Broadband (although they will attempt to incentivise 'upgrades')

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Drumcondra wrote:

Not sure what this means

Availability.jpg

@Drumcondra that shows that full fibre is available at your property from overhead feeds if you follow the link that @MightyQuinn posted you should see if Skys database has caught up with openreach and are offering you full fibre

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Drumcondra 

The Wholesale Checker result shows if you ordered FTTP it would arrive from a nearby phone pole ('OH feed with no anticipated issues')

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Drumcondra wrote:

Ok. Full fibre is available for Virgin media so I asmued that it would be for SKY also.

Virgin use their own infrastructure (actually coax and not fibre to the premise) and Sky would use the OpenReach infrastructure.  There's no guarantee they are both available.

. I have tried VM straming TV. ITV will not allow fast forward of TV content or adverts. This is not a problem with other broadcasts. With SKYQ that is not a problem.

Q uses a dish to receive live channels and can download programmes to watch later.  Streaming services (such as glass) require a constant Internet with sufficient bandwidth - a proper fibre service should easily suffice.

But if you want 'recording' then Q is the only option with HDD.

Q provides certain streaming apps, such as NetFlix, Amazon Prime and their own Sky Sports+  (These would also need sufficient broadband speed/quality).

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

@Drumcondra wrote:

If full broadband requres SKY glass

Hi @Drumcondra   That is not correct, where exactly did that information come from?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion