Discussion topic: Toob broadband, cant connect to skyQ

This message was authored by signo123 This message was authored by: signo123

Toob broadband, cant connect to skyQ

Since changing internet to Toob , my sky box keeps losing connection to the internet.  It keeps doing it, and I now cannot connect at all.  Is there any solution to this.  Reading the forum others have had this problem, but I cant see what the did to solve it.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Toob broadband, cant connect to skyQ

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@signo123 wrote:

Since changing internet to Toob , my sky box keeps losing connection to the internet.  It keeps doing it, and I now cannot connect at all.  Is there any solution to this.  Reading the forum others have had this problem, but I cant see what the did to solve it.

Hi @signo123 

First reset your broadband router.
On 3rd party broadband and your router does not have a reset button, reboot it by disconnecting the power lead for 30 secs and then reconnecting.
Wait until the router is completely back and running and then try a Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky or 3rd party router
On 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

signo123
Topic Author

I have done this several times, then I get a connection that lasts a few days, and I have to reset it all over again.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@signo123 wrote:

I have done this several times, then I get a connection that lasts a few days, and I have to reset it all over again.

Have you asked your internet provider at all?

signo123
Topic Author

Thanks, I had never thought of that being an issue as everything else works in the house that's connected to the internet. 

I talked to Toob and they told me to make some setting changes to turn IPV6 off on my router, will try later after work, and post the results here.

signo123
Topic Author

I turned  IPV6 in my router settings.

Reset everything as mentioned in a previous post, and it still won't connect.  I now dont know if this is a Sky problem or a Toob problem.

signo123
Topic Author

Ment to say turned IPV6 off on the router settings.

This message was authored by MBallin This message was authored by: MBallin

Having exactly the same issue. So frustrating that it can work for anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 days. Toob are sending CityFibre out within a matter of days but certain theyll say its not their issue as the speed into the house is fine. Although their router wifi reach is poor it appears to be a Sky issue and they cant send an engineer for 6 weeks.

When i go through the full disconnect and reactivate steps everyone mentions it works for a while, but i also need Wifi hotspots on and that does appear to cause problems.

very interested if you ever find a solution.

signo123
Topic Author

I managed to get it working again late last night after trying about 10 times to reset everything, but for how long who knows, glad to hear it's not just me.  If the connection holds I will post back as like you it normally fails within 2 days.

Mine's been on and off all night. It's like it waits for me to sit down and start watching something before dropping out again. I'm probably spending an hour on average every day trying to sort it. Unfortunately connecting by Ethernet is not an option for me, which seems to be the solution others are finding. When I spoke with Toob they didn't mention the IPV6 (not that I would know how to adjust that).

@MBallin wrote:

Having exactly the same issue. So frustrating that it can work for anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 days. Toob are sending CityFibre out within a matter of days but certain theyll say its not their issue as the speed into the house is fine. Although their router wifi reach is poor it appears to be a Sky issue and they cant send an engineer for 6 weeks.

When i go through the full disconnect and reactivate steps everyone mentions it works for a while, but i also need Wifi hotspots on and that does appear to cause problems.

WiFi hotspots using the mini boxes? I don't have multi-room but I thought they would only work when using Sky broadband?

Depending on your setup, perhaps the following suggestion will help?

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Connections-to-main-box-constantly-dropping-out/m-p/4093567/h...

It suggests the opposite - that WiFi hotspots should be setup when not using SKY broadband. But as you do it there are caveats about making sure you're on 2.4Ghz and WPA2 password enabled, and that ECO mode would switch it off etc. If I don't turn the WiFi hotspot setup on the reach of the WiFi is awful.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous wrote:

@MBallin wrote:

WiFi hotspots using the mini boxes? I don't have multi-room but I thought they would only work when using Sky broadband?

@Anonymous on a previous software update Sky enable hotspots for all ISP providers but non Sky providers are limited to the 2.4 channel only where as Sky broadband uses both the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels for hotspots

hope this helps 😀

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Having had CityFibre out to check the connection and replace the box on the wall that has had no impact. Spoke to Toob and they sent a guide to enable the split of the WiFi to separate 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz channels so I can ensure Sky is on the 2.4GHz one. Whether I setup mini boxes to act as hotspots or not makes no difference - I continue to get random drop-offs and have to go through full reset process.

Sky is due to come in 4 weeks' time so hoping they can look at ensuring a stable connection.

Otherwise I think I need to find a way of getting an Ethernet cable to the sky box, which means either re-homing the Toob entry point in the house or trying a Powerline WiFi extender.

Anyone else had any luck?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion