Discussion topic: SkyQ won't stay connected to non Sky broadband

This message was authored by Phil4 This message was authored by: Phil4

SkyQ won't stay connected to non Sky broadband

I've recently (c2-3 months ago) changed broadband provider from Sky to Truespeed - a local fibre provider for rural Somerset as Sky cannot provide anything fast enough. This issue may be relevant to other similar providers to rural communities.

I have a SkyQ main box, 3 mini boxes and regularly connect via SkyGo in other areas of the house too. I have a parent Linksys modem plus 1 child node connected via ethernet at the other end of the house.

Connecting my devices initially has not been a problem, but staying connected has been. Almost every morning the main box does not have a connection and either it needs resetting or eventually wakes up to connect later on - not an easy thing to explain to a toddler wanting their cartoons!

The mini boxes don't get a great deal of use, but when they are switched on, can't really be used - either they don't connect to the main box right from the get go and so need reseting as if connecting for the first time or they are connected initially but it then drops. The same can be said of the SkyGo app - watching recorded programmes gives a similar issue but watching on demand directly from the internet is fine.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating, especially coming off the disappointing performance of the broadband and having to go elsewhere for that it's reaching the point where I may just have to get some cheap firesticks or the like and just watch everything over the internet now.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I believe all boxes are set to be "active" not "eco" so shouldn't be disconnecting and the main box is switched on pretty much on a daily basis.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: SkyQ won't stay connected to non Sky broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

By default the Q to Q connectivity has nothing to do with your broadband.

...other than it creates its own 5GHz mesh network on channels 36 to 48.  If your own broadband routers are broadcasting on the same range then there's a good chance this is causing your issues.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Hi @Phil4 Try rebooting your router by removing the power cable for 30 sec then reconnect to reboot, then reboot your main SKYQ box by turning the power off at the socket for 30 sec then turn back on, do the same with any Mini boxes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
Phil4
Topic Author

@PandJ2020 - thanks for your reply. Whilst that may explain the mini/go connectivity issue, begs the question about is it possible to solve it or do I now have some expensive paper weights and it's no longer worth paying for? And it doesn't address the big question of why the main box discounts itself from the router pretty much daily.

@Quoman7 - thanks for your reply. However, I am constantly reseting everything to reconnect. as I said, connecting is not the issue, staying connected is. I'm reluctant to do the router daily too as each time I do it I then have to reset both child sleep monitor cameras so they pick up the stronger signal from the child node router not the main one to stop the buffering/hanging through the night. With 2 kids and 2 jobs, I just don't have time to be constantly resetting electronic devices. I would have thought technology these days would allow us to connect something and it stays connected for a reasonable amount of time so is available when required. It's almost back to dial up days or even the ZX Spectrum with long wait times before anything accessible!

This message was authored by tlise This message was authored by: tlise

Similar issue. We are with connect fibre no minis tho just the one box. Our issue time is usually evening when we sit down to watch things and we end up watching the connection pick up and drop. Shouldn't have to reboot sky box and router every time we want to watch it. 
If sky had been more reasonable id have stayed with them for the net. 
CF told me that sky have their boxes preferring sky and it's likely it will keep happening and to ask sky. Who didn't respond. Multiple times. 
plugging in to the router isn't an option as it would mean a trailing wire across two rooms and accidental feet. 
hear you on the cartoons we have that too with our grandson 😳 

sorry no help I'm just trawling thru hoping someone can suggest something (in a way a non tec can understand) 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Phil4 wrote:

@PandJ2020 - thanks for your reply. Whilst that may explain the mini/go connectivity issue, begs the question about is it possible to solve it or do I now have some expensive paper weights and it's no longer worth paying for? And it doesn't address the big question of why the main box discounts itself from the router pretty much daily.

Configure your broadband router away from channels 36 to 48...

With a non-Sky ISP the boxes will only connect on 2.4GHz band - ensure your router does not having 5GHz steering enabled.  I'd recommend splitting the bands into separate SSID's if the router is capable.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Phil4
Topic Author

@PandJ2020 - thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to begin to look for let alone action those settings/changes!

@tlise - It seems to me to be when it has been off for a prolongued period. Having a full box of recordings doesn't help either and an engineer says to keep it below 90% to aid connectivity, which has helped but not resolved the issue - although was the minis lack of connection then while still on Sky Broadband, so not sure if it will help you.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion