Discussion topic: Sky Q self install

This message was authored by Tally1971 This message was authored by: Tally1971

Sky Q self install

Hello. 

Just wondering if anyone could answer my question please?

I have a family friend who is a satelite installer. Normally when I need any satelite dish work done I get him to do it as I/he can source a better quality dish than the cheap ones Sky use which tend to rust in no time in my part of the country. 

I received a letter from Sky today saying "We're upgrading you to a Sky Q TV box at no extra cost". 

The box I have currently is one I purchased myself from an online satellite retailer a few years ago. And is the 2TB Sky HD box. 

Basically I was wondering if it's possible to get Sky to send out a Sky Q box basically a self install  (I understand that I would need to start a new contract for this)  and from there, I could get the family friend to replace the LNB and also do the neccessary extra cabling. He is very proffeciant and he tells me that the dish I have up currently will be suitable, and the only thing that would need done would be to replace the LNB and add the extra cabling from the new LNB. 

I really don't want a Sky enginneer to come out and install a new dish that would be of a poorer quality than the one I have up on the wall already. As this would then mean I would have two dishes up on the wall, and one would not be getting used. And lastly, to put it frankly, I have seen some of the standard of work that Sky's engineers have done, and lets just say it leaves a lot to be desired. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you agree with what I've posted or I've been able to help you, then please click on the thumbs up on this post.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q self install

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tally1971 wrote:

Hello. 

Just wondering if anyone could answer my question please?

I have a family friend who is a satelite installer. Normally when I need any satelite dish work done I get him to do it as I/he can source a better quality dish than the cheap ones Sky use which tend to rust in no time in my part of the country. 

I received a letter from Sky today saying "We're upgrading you to a Sky Q TV box at no extra cost". 

The box I have currently is one I purchased myself from an online satellite retailer a few years ago. And is the 2TB Sky HD box. 

Basically I was wondering if it's possible to get Sky to send out a Sky Q box basically a self install  (I understand that I would need to start a new contract for this)  and from there, I could get the family friend to replace the LNB and also do the neccessary extra cabling. He is very proffeciant and he tells me that the dish I have up currently will be suitable, and the only thing that would need done would be to replace the LNB and add the extra cabling from the new LNB. 

I really don't want a Sky enginneer to come out and install a new dish that would be of a poorer quality than the one I have up on the wall already. As this would then mean I would have two dishes up on the wall, and one would not be getting used. And lastly, to put it frankly, I have seen some of the standard of work that Sky's engineers have done, and lets just say it leaves a lot to be desired. 

hi @Tally1971 

I am afraid that to my knowledge SKY don't allow self - installs

You may also wish to read some notes I have put together - although may be aware of some if not most

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Edit : P.S. That said - If you had the LNB  already switched and cable tested  then the engineer may just leave it be  but they would probably only do this if the dish is deemed accessible (in case of future problems) 

Tally1971
Topic Author

@nigea99 wrote:

hi @Tally1971 

I am afraid that to my knowledge SKY don't allow self - installs

You may also wish to read some notes I have put together - although may be aware of some if not most

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Edit : P.S. That said - If you had the LNB  already switched and cable tested  then the engineer may just leave it be  but they would probably only do this if the dish is deemed accessible (in case of future problems) 

Thanks very much for the help, its much appreciated. I thought as much re Sky not doing self installs. I will mention to our family friend about:

" If you had the LNB  already switched and cable tested  then the engineer may just leave it be  but they would probably only do this if the dish is deemed accessible (in case of future problems)"

And see if he has done this before for anyone else, and to see if Sky did indeed leave it be. 

Thanks again. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you agree with what I've posted or I've been able to help you, then please click on the thumbs up on this post.
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Hi @Tally1971 

A Sky Q install includes everything you mention.

If you are not happy with any Aspect ; Dish ; LNB ; Cabling etc then you could replace or redo as necessary.

If you intend to use your Existing Sky+HD box then I'm sure that you are aware that you would not have a subscription for that and it could be used for Freesat only.

Also you would need a Hybrid LNB to achieve this.

As Sky are responsible for the Dish and cabling (for 12 months after install I believe) and also future servicing it's unlikely that they would agree to your proposal.

Also be aware that in past instances where Sky have offered free upgrade to Sky Q they supply the Original 1 TB Q box which is not UHD capable.  You would need to check this with them if you go ahead.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tally1971 wrote:

I'd observe that's still a suggestion, not an instruction.  Sky+ is still an ongoing supported platform: in your case Sky may simply think you have a non-HD box (they won't know about your private purchase) and are preparing for the switch-off of BBC SD channels in the early new year.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Tally1971
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Tally1971 wrote:

I'd observe that's still a suggestion, not an instruction.  Sky+ is still an ongoing supported platform: in your case Sky may simply think you have a non-HD box (they won't know about your private purchase) and are preparing for the switch-off of BBC SD channels in the early new year.

Thank you. Never thought about them not knowing I'd purchased my current box privately. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion