Discussion topic: Sky Q 2TB box ethernet speed?

This message was authored by Allen+Mead This message was authored by: Allen+Mead

Sky Q 2TB box ethernet speed?

Hi, I have up to 900mb full fibre with BT and a sky Q 2TB main box and 2 satellite boxes. Finally got round to hard wiring ethernet to the TV location. Needed to install a gigabit switch, no problem. 

Now, the switch says that my 2TB box is only connected at 100mb and not at 1000mb.

The switch says the connect to the hub is 1000mb and the xbox is also at 1000mb.

My satellite boxes are connected at 1000mb

I have reset the network connection, still at 100mb

Model version of the 2TB box is 32B063 - am I stuck with a non 1 gigabit port on my sky box?

According to the info here, if should do 1000mb

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-box-specs

I have checked that the switch is not strangling the speed but, all are on the same setting?

Any help would be much appreciated

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky Q 2TB box ethernet speed?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Allen+Mead wrote:

Hi, I have up to 900mb full fibre with BT and a sky Q 2TB main box and 2 satellite boxes. Finally got round to hard wiring ethernet to the TV location. Needed to install a gigabit switch, no problem. 

Now, the switch says that my 2TB box is only connected at 100mb and not at 1000mb.

The switch says the connect to the hub is 1000mb and the xbox is also at 1000mb.

Model version of the 2TB box is 32B063 - am I stuck with a non 1 gigabit port on my sky box?

I have checked that the switch is not strangling the speed but, all are on the same setting?

Hi @Allen+Mead 

If this is your Q box in the following link it does only have a 100 mb/sec Ethernet port (this is the non HDR 2 TB version)

https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/bltd4f077d07ca6d884/61dd55377a4... 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Allen+Mead wrote:

Hi @Allen+Mead 

If this is your Q box in the following link it does only have a 100 mb/sec Ethernet port (this is the non HDR 2 TB version)

https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/bltd4f077d07ca6d884/61dd55377a4... 

Allen+Mead
Topic Author
This message was authored by Allen+Mead This message was authored by: Allen+Mead

Damn it. Thought as much, thank you. Would I be correct in saying that the speed would be quicker if it was connect by WiFi?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Allen+Mead wrote:

Damn it. Thought as much, thank you. Would I be correct in saying that the speed would be quicker if it was connect by WiFi?

Doubtful @Allen+Mead 

100mb/sec is really enough for a Q box

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Allen+Mead   If BT is your ISP then the Sky Q box will only connect using the 2.4 GHz band. So maximum speed by WiFi is about 45 mbps. Considering steaming UHD then 25 mbps is ample.

This message was authored by Budgie58 This message was authored by: Budgie58

I have a similar question relating to the Ethernet speed limit. 

I have just had SKY Gigafast installed and I can get reasonable WiFi speeds if I am in the same room. However, I naturally assumed that the Sky Q box and mini boxes would act as a mesh and give me similar WiFi speeds.

Due to my existing Qky Q box only having a 100 mbps ethernet, I can only get the same WiFi speeds that I had before the upgrade to 1 gbps which is between 40 and 70 mbps.

Would the 2TB DVR box  solve this issue as the spec states that it is equiped with a 1 gbps Ethernet port.

Thank you

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Budgie58 

Sky would charge you for such a swap, if they permit it at all.  Frankly you'd do better putting that amount towards a modern mesh product: Q is inherently a 2016 system.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Smellydogs This message was authored by: Smellydogs

Hi have a fully meshed ASUS network, (BT full fibre). I have a mesh node at each of my 4 mini boxes and have them connected via the Ethernet ports. This is not to improve the speed, but makes the connection more stable. 

I would highly recommend this type of setup. However, I am still capped at 100mbps

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Sinilar setup here. I have the 1Gb port on my box, my mesh (not wifi6) can do about 600 tops, and sky downloads get nowhere near either but they go fast enough to get a UHD movie cached and ready to play in about 5 seconds.

This message was authored by tyarwood This message was authored by: tyarwood

Sky do permit Sky Q 2tb HHDR upgrades they are £50.

@tyarwood wrote:

Sky do permit Sky Q 2tb HHDR upgrades they are £50.

And does that have a gigabit ethernet port? And if so does it make any difference?

This message was authored by tyarwood This message was authored by: tyarwood

Yes it is 1000M ethernet

The main benefit if the newer box is the UHD HDR

but yes while streaming live UHD and using apps such as Netflix and prime video you get a better connection with UHD content.

you notice a big difference with downloading a 16 gig UHD version of a film it will buffer about 10 times as fast on a 1G ethernet port box.

Hmm, interesting. Mine tops out way less than that but it is going via a wifi 5 mesh from the eth port. It's quicker than I need to watch UHD content in real time though.

This message was authored by GuyTrem This message was authored by: GuyTrem

Are you sure about the £50 ...I just spoke to sky Tech and he quoted me £99 for the upgrade ??

I think they were 50 and have gone up

Clearly "admin" is undergoing a lot of inflation.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion