Discussion topic: My remote control volume has stopped working since software update!

This message was authored by BernSher This message was authored by: BernSher

Re: My remote control volume has stopped working since software update!

Today I've had persistent internet connection issues. Wi-Fi was up and down like a yo-yo from early morning. This evening my Q mini's wouldn't connect. A call to sky resulted in a full reset of my router and reactivation of the mini connections, which eventually worked. The helpful sky adviser tested the line and all was fine. Despite that my mini connection has continued to drop a couple of times during the evening.

What's relevant to this discussion is that my remote keeps dropping the ability to control volume on my Samsung tv. I've reset the remote 3 times and each time have been successful in getting the volume to work. However within minutes it's no longer working. this is a brand new voice control remote sky sent as a replacement to my previous remote not working. Could the mini be the problem? Any suggestions? Helpfully Sky's call centre is closed! 

This message was authored by Vicky10 This message was authored by: Vicky10

Just worked for me too.Had tried loads of times before.🤔👏👏👏

This message was authored by Emmamo This message was authored by: Emmamo

Thank you! This worked 

This message was authored by Claire1892 This message was authored by: Claire1892

By "menu button" do you mean the button on the remote that looks like a little house?

This message was authored by jonesks This message was authored by: jonesks

I've had a new sky q voice remote control to replace one that stopped working. It will not connect to TV when I press 1 and 3 together. I've disconnected by holding down 7 and 9 until the red light on the remote flashes 4 times. 

This message was authored by jonesks This message was authored by: jonesks

None of the above tips have worked for me.

This message was authored by Nesky This message was authored by: Nesky

This just happened to me with a basic Sky remote and on 2 different makes of TV (32" Samsung on a Q mini box and a 42" Sony on the main Q box). 

But I also have a touch remote for the main Q box which is unaffected!

What is suspicious is that when going through the on screen instructions to find the TV model, both TVs were missing from the list so could not be  selected. Needless to say none of the suggested number codes worked.

The fact that it happened on 2 controllers at the same time doesn't seem like a coincidence. So looks to me like Sky have just made an update that has caused it.

Also the recommended fix using buttons 1 and 3 for 3 seconds did not work.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nesky wrote:

This just happened to me with a basic Sky remote and on 2 different makes of TV (32" Samsung on a Q mini box and a 42" Sony on the main Q box). 

But I also have a touch remote for the main Q box which is unaffected!

What is suspicious is that when going through the on screen instructions to find the TV model, both TVs were missing from the list so could not be  selected. Needless to say none of the suggested number codes worked.

The fact that it happened on 2 controllers at the same time doesn't seem like a coincidence. So looks to me like Sky have just made an update that has caused it.

Also the recommended fix using buttons 1 and 3 for 3 seconds did not work.

@Nesky there hasn't been a Q update since November so it can't have been an update to the box that has caused this

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

That makes it even more strange that my 2 boxes had the problem at the same time.

This message was authored by carylp This message was authored by: carylp

Mine has stopped working all of a sudden! The reset and reconnect hasn't worked for me.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Try this link for help with your Q remotes
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-q-remotes/what-would-you-like-help-with.
If you get to the end and decide the remote is faulty click tried everything then need more help and or contact us and you get a form to order a replacement one free.

Thanks for the link although I eventually got the remote fully working for the main Sky box.

This message was authored by iknowjoey This message was authored by: iknowjoey

This fix is still working for me 2yrs later!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion