Discussion topic: Main Q Box & Broadband

This message was authored by Smithsterd This message was authored by: Smithsterd

Main Q Box & Broadband

Hi. My sky main sky q box Netflix app will not connect. This box and my mini also take an age to download any episode of anything. Our Sky wifi signal also keeps dropping out and is generally weak throughout our property although we have an additional Sky booster.

Thanks, Craig

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Main Q Box & Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Smithsterd wrote:

Hi. My sky main sky q box Netflix app will not connect. This box and my mini also take an age to download any episode of anything. Our Sky wifi signal also keeps dropping out and is generally weak throughout our property although we have an additional Sky booster.

Thanks, Craig

Hi @Smithsterd 

What is your Q WiFi booster Connected to and where is it located in relation to the other Q boxes and router?

Smithsterd
Topic Author
This message was authored by Smithsterd This message was authored by: Smithsterd

Hi. The booster is plugged in and the lights are to indicate it is ok. It is in the same room as  the router and the main q box.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

It won't be doing anything that the router or Q box can't do themselves in that case. You need to locate it ~halfway to what you want to connect.

Smithsterd
Topic Author

I have had it in another room and it was still the same. Slow downloads and signal disappearing altogether. Any idea about the Netflix app?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Lots of people having problems with that. You'll see threads on here. Sky are still investigating.

Did you reset the nerwork on the mini and connect it to the booster using WPS after you put it in the other room?

try an ethernet cable from the Q to router to improve download speeds, if they are in the same room.

Smithsterd
Topic Author

Hi, yeah that was done. The booster hasn't really improved it which makes me wonder about the router?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Smithsterd wrote:

Hi. The booster is plugged in and the lights are to indicate it is ok. It is in the same room as  the router and the main q box.

Hi @Smithsterd 

The booster lights may be lit but that doesn't indicate what the booster is connected to.

Either you need it to connect your main Q box to the router or you need it to connect the mini.

If the main Q box is in the same room as the router then it is unlikely that you need it to connect the main Q box.  (Assume the booster is a Q WiFi Booster and not a normal Sky Booster).

I would suggest that you disconnect the Booster and carry out a Network reset on you main Q box.

Network Reset found in main Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router.
As you are on Sky broadband you will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky router. (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically). Make sure you press the WPS button on the Sky router and not the reset button.
once you have the main Q box connected, position the booster midway between the main Q box and the mini.

Then connect the Booster to the main Q box by pressing the WPS button on the main Q box and then the WPS button on the Booster.

When the booster is connected Carry out a Network reset on the mini.

Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with the booster.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the booster  (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

Smithsterd
Topic Author

Thanks! I'll give this a try👍🏻

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion