Discussion topic: Is Sky Q compatible with WiFi max router

This message was authored by VeryFrustrated2 This message was authored by: VeryFrustrated2

Is Sky Q compatible with WiFi max router

Does the Sky WiFi max router work with the Sky Q box.

Sky are telling me it does

I am aware reading on this forum that initially it wasn't compatible but that it may be in future

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Is Sky Q compatible with WiFi max router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@VeryFrustrated2 

I think the current situation is that Sky may be prepared to offer Max at an address with a main Q box, but not where any Mini boxes or Q boosters are in use.  That would tend to indicate there's an ongoing issue between the frankly antique (c2015) 'Q mesh' and the much more modern local WiFi optimisation and management built into the Max Hub and its booster pods, but Sky now believes this won't be a problem for a solitary Q unit.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
VeryFrustrated2
Topic Author
This message was authored by VeryFrustrated2 This message was authored by: VeryFrustrated2

Thanks for that.

From what I have read so far Sky were indicating that the Sky Q box was not compatible but may be soon.

I spoke to three Sky call handlers in this country yesterday who could not answer my question and then I was transferred to India where I was assured the Q box was compatible with the Sky max wi fi router.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@VeryFrustrated2 wrote:

From what I have read so far Sky were indicating that the Sky Q box was not compatible but may be soon.

Those posts are now out of date with regards to addresses that only have a main Q box.  It appears that the Sky Broadband sales system will block any order for Max where there's a record of a Q Mini box or a Sky wireless booster at the address.

VeryFrustrated2
Topic Author

I only have the main Q box so you say you think it will work with the new wifi max router ?

I was thinking of cancelling wifi max and staying with my current router in case the Q box stops working.

This message was authored by Sparkymatt100 This message was authored by: Sparkymatt100

Are you sure it won't be offered to someone with a Sky Q minibox? I have a minibox and when I click upgrade options in My  Sky app, it offers me the Sky Max router for £6 a month.

LG OLED65C3" 4K HDR TV
Sky Q 2Tb HDR
Mini Box

Sky Superfast Broadband

@Sparkymatt100 wrote:

Are you sure it won't be offered to someone with a Sky Q minibox? 

That's what we've been advised.

This message was authored by bcfc1186 This message was authored by: bcfc1186

I was actively upsold the sky max hub by sky, and now cannot get my minibox to work as an access point - is this a known issue?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion