Discussion topic: Fan on sky Q box constantly on

This message was authored by David999 This message was authored by: David999

Fan on sky Q box constantly on

For rhe last few weeks on a Sunday the fan starts running and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the power and leave it for 10-15 minutes then re start is this a problem with the box as it doesn't appear to be overheating?

All Replies

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

Re: Fan on sky Q box constantly on

@David999   Can the Sky box 'breath' in other words is it enclosed or other objects right next to it?  I does need a bit of space around it to stay at the best temperature. 

This message was authored by skinbags This message was authored by: skinbags

The box its sited on a unit with nothing around it to prevent overheating 

this problem has only arisen since i had a  vist from an engineer who replaced the box i had been using for years 

This message was authored by Stephen+Mourton This message was authored by: Stephen+Mourton

@David999  Well I thought it worth a try.  As no one else on the forum has come up with another idea it sounds like a problem that only an engineer can sort out, so I would suggest giving Sky a ring.  I hope you sort it soon. 

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@David999 wrote:

For rhe last few weeks on a Sunday the fan starts running and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the power and leave it for 10-15 minutes then re start is this a problem with the box as it doesn't appear to be overheating?

Hi @David999 as the SKYQ box doesn't seem to be hot to the touch, the fan is obviously cooling the electronics in the box suggesting that the QBox is doing multiple tasks, such as housekeeping, whilst recording any scheduled programmes etc.

If the fan stops after a while then all is fine.

If it continues for longer than 30min and the case becomes too hot to touch then power down, and wait for it to cool, then call SKY and talk to an advisor about replacing the box?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
This message was authored by skinbags This message was authored by: skinbags

I have let it run for over an hour before disconnecting the box is still cool top and bottom 

i leave it for 15 mins reconnect the power fan runs the slows in dtages till it stops then its fine for a week?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion