Discussion topic: Dolby Digital plus

This message was authored by Chip71 This message was authored by: Chip71

Dolby Digital plus

Hello

i have just purchased a Sonos beam gen 2 and all leads are connected to have sound. I have an 55" lg uhd 4K tv but on the audio from sky what's the best sound to have, I've got it set to Dolby Digital plus but obviously don't have a 5.1 system, just one sound bar. 
Am

i being silly or what's the best set up ?

normal

dolby

dolby digital plus

please 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Dolby Digital plus

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chip71 wrote:

Hello

i have just purchased a Sonos beam gen 2 and all leads are connected to have sound. I have an 55" lg uhd 4K tv but on the audio from sky what's the best sound to have, I've got it set to Dolby Digital plus but obviously don't have a 5.1 system, just one sound bar. 
Am

i being silly or what's the best set up ?

normal

dolby

dolby digital plus

please 

Hi @Chip71 

It all depends on your Sound bar I believe the Sonos Beam 2 to be one of the more capable Sound bars (although IIRC it may need a reasonable volume to be so - but I could be wrong)

Although Sound bars are one unit they usually contain many speakers that are set at various angles to give a surround sound experience.

The number of speakers contained and their positions within the Sound bar will affect the sound you experience. 

Many Sound bars can give an effective Surround Sound experience

Although some people do report that 5.1 sound can cause the central Dialogue  channel to loose definition (especially with some mixes -IIRC some episodes of Dr Who is one that people had concerns over)  but I think many  Sound bars these days do a good job at maintaining the separation

If your Sound bar can handle Dolby Digital Plus (which I think the Beam 2 can) then I would suggest you set it to this unless you find the sound too unnatural

You need to set Dolby Digital Plus to process Dolby Atmos

BTW the effectiveness of the Surround modes such as 5.1 & Atmos can depend very much on placement of the Sound bar - specifically in relation to any reflective surfaces- for example  if they are  too far away the sounds may be difficult   perceive as Surround 

(Too close to sound absorbing surfaces such as curtains can also effect the sound heard)

I can thus suggest that if you are not getting the Surround effects you feel you might   then placing some strategically placed  items may improve the sound at your listening position 

The height effects from Atmos can be particularly subject to the height of ceilings

(P.S. I will just  say I have never had a Sound Bar myself, gradually upgrading my Separate AV Amps & separate speakers which will always give a better sound than a Sound bar but I feel my answer to be generally correct)

Edit : P.P.S setting the sound ouput to Normal would probably be  a total waste of your pennies spent on your Sonos beam

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion