Discussion topic: Can you turn off HDR but still have 4K?

This message was authored by prescol This message was authored by: prescol

Can you turn off HDR but still have 4K?

I've had to revert back to HD as HDR content on Netflix and Disney+ it's too dark..

just wondering if there's a way you can turn off HDR but still have 4K/uHD as I'm paying for UHD

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Can you turn off HDR but still have 4K?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @prescol I don't have a UHD box so don't know if there is a specific option

One way I would think would work would be to select 8 bit rather than 10 bit in the 2160 setting

HDR needs the 10 bit

I guess there would be narrowing of the colour palette but how noticable I don't know - probably barely

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@prescol

You don't have your TV set up properly, I'd imagine. It's not a Sony by any chance is it? 

prescol
Topic Author

No it's an LG web OS,  

when the content is in HD there is a mast improvement in brightness. I've googled it and found out that a lot of people are having the same problem with different televisions. Where they are finding HDR is far too dark for bright room. 

And I followed everything which the LG manual said, but I am still finding it really dark.  So on my sky Q I've reverted back to HD..

LG and other manufacturers to said  it in bedded in the code of HDR from the broadcaster. 

This message was authored by pjhaahl This message was authored by: pjhaahl

@prescol 

Did you not use the TV's Netflix and Disney+ apps rather than the ones on the Sky box? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

hi @prescol I don't have a UHD box so don't know if there is a specific option

One way I would think would work would be to select 8 bit rather than 10 bit in the 2160 setting

HDR needs the 10 bit

I guess there would be narrowing of the colour palette but how noticable I don't know - probably barely

prescol
Topic Author

I've just tried it on the app on the LG, still fairly dark on the HGR

prescol
Topic Author

Thank you so much changing from 10 bit to 8 bit worked.  I'm no longer seen in HDR. 👍👍

This message was authored by notagain This message was authored by: notagain

Something is not set up right as HDR increass brightness for improved contras against darker objects, my screen gets brighter when using HDR, on my sony Oled it is stunning using the apps and pretty passable with sky's HLG. Does your TV support HLG? or just UHD? My Sony supports HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG, if your TV is newish it should support those formats too.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont
This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@prescol

Presumably on your LG you have turned on HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color for the HDMI input your Sky Q box is connected to? Without that on, HDR won't work on an LG. 

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

@prescol you should have the option to download the UHD SDR version of the content you need.

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4
This message was authored by Mikewebb This message was authored by: Mikewebb

I've been having problems myself with very dark pictures when using Netflix or Disney+ through my Q box, just changed from 10 bit to 8 bit as someone suggested and the difference is actually unreal 

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

My TV does not have enough brightness (nits) to benefit from HDR, I turned it off in the TV's settings a Sony and I get a much better picture from Prime or Netflix if they are using HDR. Of course I don't download HDR versions from Sky.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion