Discussion topic: Any wireless HDMI repeater reccomendations?

This message was authored by Dallen9798 This message was authored by: Dallen9798

Any wireless HDMI repeater reccomendations?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I've found a few but I've not used this tech before.

I've cancelled Multiscreen, Can anyone reccomend a wireless HDMi repeater than will send my main q box's signal from my TV downstairs to upstairs?

And if I can still use the remote also? Wireless HDMI repeater may not be the right name for it as unsure what its called

Edit: cheap as possible ideally

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------
My views are my own and I will assist where possible.

Sky Q 2TB UHD, 2X Mini Box, Sky BB UF1, Booster 4

I am just a customer, If I've got something wrong feel free to tell me, If I've something right mark it as an answer

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Any wireless HDMI repeater reccomendations?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

My experience of wireless HDMI repeaters is that they're troublesome. Range is short and they're very susceptible to interference. I tried, and eventually gave up with a Marmitek wireless HDMI sender/receiver. I don't know if a sender/receiver that uses your home internal wiring to convey the signal might be more successful (but almost certainly more expensive too).

Dallen9798
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dallen9798 This message was authored by: Dallen9798

@Mark39 

Cheers mate this is well out of my realm of tech, any other ideas that would work to repeat the signal?

Never been the same since the loss of the RF ports like back on Sky+

I am just a customer, If I've got something wrong feel free to tell me, If I've something right mark it as an answer
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Realistically it would need to be a network connection to send HDMI, i.e. Cat5/6 system.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

@PandJ2020 wrote:

Realistically it would need to be a network connection to send HDMI, i.e. Cat5/6 system.

I agree. HDMI over Cat5/6 cable would be far more reliable IMHO, and reasonably inexpensive. 

Or if you have coax cable in place or can install it,  an HDMI/RF modulator woukd be a possibility. I've used both, very satisfactorily.

Dallen9798
Topic Author

@Mark39 

Perfect thanks again, was hoping to avoid running cables up the stairs but I'll try and figure it out haha

@Mark39 wrote:

Or if you have coax cable in place or can install it,  an HDMI/RF modulator woukd be a possibility. I've used both, very satisfactorily.

RF modulation could work with the right kit but quality takes a hit - that might not be an issue if the OP is used to the MagicEye solution...

Dallen9798
Topic Author

@PandJ2020 

I'm not fussed on quality, its purely for the bedroom a few hours a night, any certain product you'd reccomend pal?

@PandJ2020 wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

RF modulation could work with the right kit but quality takes a hit - that might not be an issue if the OP is used to the MagicEye solution...

Same quality as Freeview HD. 

@Mark39 wrote:

That will depend on the sender/receiver.  A Freeview RF signal (DVB-T or DVB-T2) is decoded into a digital signal and processed giving good quality.

The MagicEye system works on an analogue basis where the slave TV needs an 'old style' analogue tuner (what terrestial used to be broadcast on) which gives a so-so picture.

I don't have any recommendations as I ditched the MagicEye when changing over to Q Multiroom.  But a quick scan on Amazon reveals a number of options for coaxial connections.

@PandJ2020 wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

That will depend on the sender/receiver.  A Freeview RF signal (DVB-T or DVB-T2) is decoded into a digital signal and processed giving good quality.

I used an Eidison modulator which produced excellent results - easily equivalent to a broadcast Freeview HD signal. Vastly better than the mediocre picture quality (and mono sound) from the analogue output from Sky+ boxes.

@Mark39 wrote:

@PandJ2020 wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

I used an Eidison modulator which produced excellent results - easily equivalent to a broadcast Freeview HD signal. Vastly better than the mediocre picture quality (and mono sound) from the analogue output from Sky+ boxes.

Indeed, the RF output on the Sky+ boxes works but there are better options out there...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion