Discussion topic: Annoying press red button to watch in ultra hd message

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Annoying press red button to watch in ultra hd message

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

No. Why do you think you're the only one?

I suspect this thread has gone quiet because people are only seeing it rarely  now, like you. Whereas before it was constantly nagging.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@middlesex1993 wrote:

As I say I find modern technology so very difficult

To summarise.

I have an old smart television.

The situation has now greatly  improved from a week ago.

I  only now get the red UHD pop ups when I am watching a live football game.

For some reason which I do not understand, It does not happen when I am watching for instance live golf or live tennis.

Yesterday when I was watching live Everton v Arsenal  game the red UHD pop ups only happened at the start of each half or when thre had been a. break for adverts but thankfully,  unlike before,  the red UHD pop ups were not coming up during the game itself.

I really do not think it is my Sky Q box..

hi @middlesex1993 

You won't see prompts for UHD on Golf as it is not generally broadcast in UHD - although it is sometimes available via the main Event in Upscaled UHD (I guess the Solheim Cup & Ryder cup will be)

I think it was the same for the Tennis

I don't know but I am taking a guess that SKY trigger the prompt for UHD at strategic points (e.g. new halves) to try to get people to upgrade. - I am sure a lot of Football fans do already subscribe and watch in UHD

Providing you are not getting prompts during the game itself then I don't think it is likely to be a fault

P.S. It has nothing to do with a Smart TV  - just being set to 4K

This message was authored by BetterRelieved This message was authored by: BetterRelieved

@Chodley 

Possibly, might also be due to the fact that I just missed the start of the match and similarly didn't notice it after half time. In any event, it's much less invasive that it used to be. 

I did notice the recap red button come up once in the post match analysis. 

Bottom line for me, at least, is that Sky listened to our complaints and I'm not noticing it because it's not up every 2 minutes and on screen for 30 seconds. Also noticed that the dimming around the red button has gone.

@middlesex1993 wrote:
By the way I am told all smart televisions, even the old ones, can get UHD.

I don't believe this is true.

Smart TVs and 4k happened at around the same time but they don't go hand-in-hand.

We have an old smartTV in our kitchen. Can do Amazon Prime Video but not Disney+ for example.

It has a 1080p display and I'm 99% certain it cannot accept a 4k signal.

If your Sky box is set to 2160p (=UHD =4k because the 2160 is number of rows of pixels and 4k is approx number of columns of pixels, just to confuse everyone) and you can see a picture on the TV then yes your TV can do UHD.

@Chodley wrote:

@middlesex1993 wrote:
By the way I am told all smart televisions, even the old ones, can get UHD.

I don't believe this is true.

Smart TVs and 4k happened at around the same time but they don't go hand-in-hand.

We have an old smartTV in our kitchen. Can do Amazon Prime Video but not Disney+ for example.

It has a 1080p display and I'm 99% certain it cannot accept a 4k signal.

Absolutely - Smart Tvs do not mean 4K capable.

I have a 32" Smart TV that I bought to watch the 2018 Olympics - I struggled to get a full HD TV (1080) as most 32" are only HD ready (780p).

4K has only recently come down to 43" (& similar sizes)

Of course most modern TVs above a certain size are likely to be 4K and I doubt if any TV nowadays are not deemed 'Smart' although not all Smart TVs will have the same facilities or Apps 

This message was authored by middlesex1993 This message was authored by: middlesex1993

I am watching Coventry v Huddersfield live on channel 401.

Annoying red  UHD button still showing but far less frequently. Comes  up after adverts and at the.start of each half. I suppose we have to accept it 

This message was authored by BetterRelieved This message was authored by: BetterRelieved

@middlesex1993 

if it only comes up once when game starts or after adverts, I think that's acceptable, better if we had the option to switch off the notification completely. 

I suppose Sky needs to let people know that the option bkk is there, but certainly far less intrusive than 30 seconds, every two minutes and dimming the screen around the red button. 

I have to say I've not really noticed it since Sky put in the fix. 

This message was authored by middlesex1993 This message was authored by: middlesex1993

The reason for my last post is that I just wanted to know whether other people are still experiencing the same thing as myself.

The. UHD red button is now far less intrusive than it was before..However when I now watch a live football  game  on Sky like last night on channel 401 Coventry v Huddersfield, the pop up appeared at the start of the game and the start of the second half of the game and when there was a break for adverts but not thankfully during the game.

@middlesex1993 wrote:

The reason for my last post is that I just wanted to know whether other people are still experiencing the same thing as myself.

The. UHD red button is now far less intrusive than it was before..However when I now watch a live football  game  on Sky like last night on channel 401 Coventry v Huddersfield, the pop up appeared at the start of the game and the start of the second half of the game and when there was a break for adverts but not thankfully during the game.

And I think from the previous reply you can see that they do 😉

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@middlesex1993 The Red Button prompt has appeared at the start of each half in a football match (or at whatever point you tune to the channel) since the red button was introduced years and years ago to promote whatever Sky has wanted to promote at the time. It used to be Fan Commentary, now it's UHD. Other than the issue a couple of weeks ago that prompted this thread, nothing has changed and everyone sees it (even if they don't notice it). 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

I was watching BBC news on channel 101 this evening at 10pm.  I got a red pop up on the top right of my screen about three times saying  ' Dramatization'

What does that mean?

That what you're seeing isn't a video of the real people doing exactly what happened in the news piece that is being discussed, but a dramatisation of what happened.

Chodley

Thank you  for that reply.. I did not understand what you posted  and apologies.

As I  have said before I am hopeless with modern technology. I hope this was just just a one off.

This was the first time I had seen that pop up on the top right hand corner saying  ' Dramatisation'. I still do not understand what it means.

When I pressed on it, it seemed to be showing something completely different from the live news I was watching on BBC 1 at 10pm. Unlike with the Ultra HD pop up, pressing the back up button did not seem to get rid of it but eventually it disappeared. It was also on the top right hand corner of the screen unlike the Ultra HD pop up which is always on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. From memory it was also a small red line and not a red circle 

Have other posters had this or is this a one off and I still do not understand what it means and what it had to do with the live news.

@middlesex1993 wrote:

Chodley

Thank you  for that reply.. I did not understand what you posted  and apologies.

As I  have said before I am hopeless with modern technology. I hope this was just just a one off.

This was the first time I had seen that pop up on the top right hand corner saying  ' Dramatisation'. I still do not understand what it means.

When I pressed on it, it seemed to be showing something completely different from the live news I was watching on BBC 1 at 10pm. Unlike with the Ultra HD pop up, pressing the back up button did not seem to get rid of it but eventually it disappeared. It was also on the top right hand corner of the screen unlike the Ultra HD pop up which is always on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. From memory it was also a small red line and not a red circle 

Have other posters had this or is this a one off and I still do not understand what it means and what it had to do with the live news.

@middlesex1993 

I do not know specifically but I am guessing that during the news they mentioned something that has been made into a TV drama that might be very closely based on the topic/subject mentioned  - & thus the BBC activated a red button to take you to that Drama programme. 

This is a made up exmple by me but to give you a feel for what it might be:

Subject mentioned in the news bulletin "Today is is nth anniversary of the Great Train Robbery"

Red button labelled Dramatisation pops up which takes you to a drama that has been made re-enacting  the events around  the Great Train Robbery  from the 1960s

@middlesex1993 wrote:

Chodley

It's not a technical thing. It wasn't a sky message, or something you could press the button for, it was a bbc label telling you that what you were watching wasn't a real video of events, but a dramatisation.

---------

noun: dramatisation
  1. a play or film adapted from a novel or depicting a particular incident.
    "the film is a dramatization of a true story"
    • the process of adapting a novel or presenting a particular incident in a play or film.
      "he led an agitation for the reform of copyright law to prevent the dramatization of novels without the author's sanction"
      ---------

so when you pressed the red button it brought up some random unrelated default sky service.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion