Discussion topic: WiFi calling

This message was authored by DJackson This message was authored by: DJackson

WiFi calling

Recently purchased a Motorola Edge 40 from Currys. Great phone, but can't get WiFi calling working with Sky Mobile. No ption in the menu's to switch it on, which it should be as it's WiFi calling capable. Heard something about Sky only enabling WiFi calling on phone purchased from them and that a firmware update would be needed from them to enable it. Only way I can prove this is to try a SIM from another operator I guess. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would be very grateful if anyonecan advise a solution

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: WiFi calling

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DJackson wrote:
Heard something about Sky only enabling WiFi calling on phone purchased from them

That is correct as Sky have always said this:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/wi-fi-calling

One to watch out for: If you didn't get your phone from us, it might not be compatible with Sky Mobile Wi-Fi calling. To check, set up Wi-Fi calling and try making a call over Wi-Fi. If the ‘Wi-Fi call’ indicator doesn’t show, then your phone isn’t compatible.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DJackson wrote:
Heard something about Sky only enabling WiFi calling on phone purchased from them

That is correct as Sky have always said this:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/wi-fi-calling

One to watch out for: If you didn't get your phone from us, it might not be compatible with Sky Mobile Wi-Fi calling. To check, set up Wi-Fi calling and try making a call over Wi-Fi. If the ‘Wi-Fi call’ indicator doesn’t show, then your phone isn’t compatible.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
DJackson
Topic Author

Thanks, confirmed what I suspected, guess there won't be any chance of Sky updating firmware on my phone. Probably have to switch provider

This message was authored by PappaPete This message was authored by: PappaPete

Have now been talking to Sky for 2 years about WiFi calling. I have tried to be patient with the absolutely useless conversations I have had with countless people who just read complete gross from a script, the last straw was the last conversation where I was told to change this setting, turn this on an off, reboot phone. I had to explain than any of these would terminate my call and pointed out it IS NOT a problem with my phone. They do not understand that Wi Fi calling is NOT a phone problem but a Sky problem. Anyway I can confirm after 2 years of getting more and more frustrated with Sky I have moved to Asda mobile. Immediately on insertion of the Asda SIM all of the things that you don't get with Sky appeared in settings, 5g, and after a seven day activation gues what, WiFi calling is there. So don't listen to anymore rubbish from Sky, switch to a different supplier.

DJackson
Topic Author

@PappaPete I did the same as you after many phone calls to Sky. I had a 1p Mobile SIM which runs on the EE network in my car. Transferred to my Motorola phone and the option for WiFi calling immediately appeared in the menu and worked fine. 

Will have to switch from Sky to be able to use all the features of my phone. Don't understand why Sky Mobile should not work with new phone models. Works fine on the iPhones used by the rest of the family.

Is it something to do with their SIM?

This message was authored by PappaPete This message was authored by: PappaPete

It is to do with the settings sent to the SIM from Sky, to date 5g is not available in settings nor is WiFi calling. Sky's pathetic attempt to fob Me off with the the fact that 5g becomes available when you enter a 5g area with coverage is complete nonsense. Until We all start voting with our feet and changing supplier Sky will do nothing about it, I was with Sky mobile since they started but have lost any trust with them due to over two years of trying to get to the bottom of it. What I can only assume is that O2 who sky piggy back off are ripping Sky off by not allowing them to use the standard O2 settings which they keep for O2 customers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion