Discussion topic: Upgrade - went through as a new order.

This message was authored by SkyCustomer212 This message was authored by: SkyCustomer212

Upgrade - went through as a new order.

Earlier today I checked my MySky account, and saw a message which said that I could now upgrade my phone. I assumed that this meant I would not have to pay a fee to upgrade, as there was no fee displayed on the page, and I am nearly the 24 month mark which Sky advertises as the time at which you can upgrade for no cost.

I clicked Start Upgrade, and selected a phone. At the checkout, there was an option for 'Add Another Device', and I clicked this and selected a laptop, which I wanted to add to my existing plan. I then went back to the checkout, provided my details which were the exact same as my existing account details, and completed the order.

I then got an email asking me to create a MySky account - which set off alarm bells as I already have one, suggesting that this was being treated as a brand new order rather than an upgrade. I rang Sky and tried to explain to the person on the phone that I was worried that I was going to be charged for both phones, and wanted to ensure that my current contract was replaced with the new one, and that I got to keep my old number.

The person I spoke to clearly struggled to understand the issue. Initially I was told that the orders were on two separate accounts, and so my only option was to cancel the new order and try again. I was told that they couldn't cancel it straight away due to technical issues so they would need to call me back later. When they called back, they said that they couldn't cancel the new order as it had already shipped, so I would just need to refuse to take it from the 'delivery boy'.

I then looked at my account and saw no sign of the new order, and also that if I click 'Start upgrade' again, it is now showing a balance outstanding on my current phone.

I'm really confused and don't know what to do next. I need to know whether there will be a fee involved in my upgrade, as if I had known that there was, I would not have gone through with it or added the extra device. I also don't know what to do with this order that is apparently being delivered tomorrow, as I am not comfortable refusing it without being able to log in and see some sort of confirmation that I won't be billed for it. I also have no confidence that the Sky representative I have been speaking to can give me accurate answers to any of these questions!!!

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Upgrade - went through as a new order.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

In terms of a 'no cost' upgrade that depends.  The process is you are given an estimated value of your trade in and will be confirmed once inspected.  The value will be subtracted from the outstanding balance and any remainder becomes immediately payable.  (If the device was worth more than the outstanding balance then it becomes a credit)

We're other customers here so can't do a lot...

But generally, refusing delivery will return the device(s) and cancel the contract.

You'll probably have to persevere with Sky once returned.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
SkyCustomer212
Topic Author
This message was authored by SkyCustomer212 This message was authored by: SkyCustomer212

Okay thank you. I didn't even realise I needed to give them my old phone back as that didn't come up anywhere during the process on the website. 

Does what you said apply even after 24 months (on a swap 36 contract)? I've seen elsewhere that you can have a no cost upgrade at that point - but it sounds like you are saying this is all dependent on the value of the existing phone?

@SkyCustomer212 wrote:

Okay thank you. I didn't even realise I needed to give them my old phone back as that didn't come up anywhere during the process on the website. 

Does what you said apply even after 24 months (on a swap 36 contract)? I've seen elsewhere that you can have a no cost upgrade at that point - but it sounds like you are saying this is all dependent on the value of the existing phone?

Yes, that's why it's called 'swap'.

As I said a 'no cost' upgrade is not guaranteed - it depends on the condition of the trade in.

If you have a Swap36 then it's a 4 year contract - I suspect you have Swap24 which is 3 years.  (After paying for 2 years the residual value should cover the remaining credit as explained above)

It sounds like a complete new order was placed not linked to your account.

If you don't swap by the end of the contract then it's yours to keep.

SkyCustomer212
Topic Author

You have been really helpful, thank you! Sounds like this is partially on me for not fully understanding the terms before I signed up.

I think all things considered, the ideal outcome for me would be to just keep the new order, and pay off the difference on my old phone myself, as the amount is small enough that I would easily get it back through a private sale anyway. However to do this, I need to get the new order linked to my existing account. The person I spoke to earlier said this was impossible, but I can't believe that would be the case? Is there a UK call centre that I could speak to? 

Impossible is a strong word - but they cannot usually devices between account.

I don't think speaking to a UK agent will change this.  There is no specific number to call a UK agent - the system will connect to the next available agent.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion