Discussion topic: Poor signal no 5G

This message was authored by Hutch This message was authored by: Hutch

Poor signal no 5G

Hi there, I've been using Sky mobile for well over 12 months now, Samsung galaxy S22 Ultra 5G contract. I've found it to be the worse provider I've ever had, signal is awful, never seen it connect to 5G anywhere in the UK. I can be sat in the car next to my Son, (he's on a different network provider), he has a full 5G signal whereas I haven't even got 4G signal. I've received a new sim, I've updated and followed all help guides and still it's shocking. What shall I do now? I know Sky has a 5G signal in my general area but I am wondering why I pay a vast amount of money monthly for a horrendous coverage?

All Replies

This message was authored by Jynxy This message was authored by: Jynxy

Re: Poor signal no 5G

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Have you checked your phone settings to see if 5g is enabled, you will also need to make sure its enabled on your account in the mobile section, then going onto your plan.

You can also check the 5g coverage in your area here.

https://www.sky.com/shop/mobile/coverage-checker 

Sky Superuser - If i have helped you please mark as solution to help others. Thanks
1x Sky Q Silver - 1x Sky Q Mini - 1x Sky Q Hub SR203 - SKY Fibre Superfast - 2 x Sky mobiles
Hutch
Topic Author

Hi there, thank you ever so much for your reply, I have indeed checked that the phone settings have been 5G enabled and checked the area coverage. Still really poor signal in most areas, don't get me wrong, it works fine on WiFi but soon as you're in normal phone signal range it's really poor.

I genuinely have never seen 5G on my phone, why pay for a 5G phone and contract if the signal is so bad?

My last provider was bad but but still better than this, the sooner this contract is up the better imo. 

This message was authored by Jynxy This message was authored by: Jynxy

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky are a MVNO of O2, who control the roll out of the 5G and capacity of 4G, alot of masts are oversubscribed at present.

If you are not getting signal, have you tried your simcard in another phone, and tried another sim in your phone if possible, to rule these out ?

Sky Superuser - If i have helped you please mark as solution to help others. Thanks
1x Sky Q Silver - 1x Sky Q Mini - 1x Sky Q Hub SR203 - SKY Fibre Superfast - 2 x Sky mobiles
Hutch
Topic Author

About 6 months ago I ensured that the phone was set up for 5G when the signal is available, this never showed improvement.

I must agree, it could be down to the piggy backing of other providers. 

£70 PM and the coverage in the SW is shocking.

I thought when they sent me a new sim card it would be better, however, still poor. 

Surely when travelling around the UK I should have seen 5G in the top right at some point or another? 

Hutch
Topic Author

Screenshot_20230907_171832_Chrome.jpg

There should be something on my way to work but never witnessed it 🤷🏻‍♂️

This message was authored by ETJS This message was authored by: ETJS

I'm in the same boat, never had such poor signal when I leave the house. Apparently there was an issue with a mast close by which went on for about 3 months but still next to no improvement. I can't find the link in order to report it like last time now. Won't be sticking with sky as soon as I can change that's for sure 

This message was authored by himbo99 This message was authored by: himbo99

I've got a dual SIM, one with Lyca and the other Sky, with Lyca I get perfect 5g but in the same area with Sky I get 4g+ 🤔

Hutch
Topic Author

I've sorted it out 👌🏻

Cancelled my Sky contract and went to another service provider 👍🏻

This message was authored by Arthur+Itus This message was authored by: Arthur+Itus

I really don't want to change but I too have have dual sim, my works sim is Vodafone and has limited data, but it's always on 5G /4G when I switch to it whereas sky is 3G, 4G if I'm lucky.  I have seen it go to 5G but only for a second or two.  I'm always hoping things get better but it takes longer than it should considering the sales hype

This message was authored by bowlocks This message was authored by: bowlocks

Glad it's not just me. Waiting for contract to end so I can switch providers. Even when I have 5g it takes soooooo long to load anything while in the web and streaming is non existent 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion