Discussion topic: Laptops not actually Interest free.

This message was authored by South+Ken+Len This message was authored by: South+Ken+Len

Laptops not actually Interest free.

Interested in a MacBook Pro from Sky Mobile as they are marketed as interest free. However, the cost of a Macbook Pro 14" comes out at £95 more than the the Apple Store price (which is Apple's retail price) so I cant really see that the interest Free offer is truthful?  It's still a decent deal - £95 extra over 4 years is about 4.5% total - but it is nevertheless misleading.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Laptops not actually Interest free.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Some items are sold above the RRP - always worth doing your research as you have...

If you purchase the item with a single payment then it is the same total cost as the monthly payment option - so arguably 'interest free'.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@South+Ken+Len Like all prices in retail the manufacturers price is only a recommended price, any company who sells the goods can choose to stick to that price or charge more or less (like supermarkets do with loss leading deals), its not interest it's just a pricing decision.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
South+Ken+Len
Topic Author
This message was authored by South+Ken+Len This message was authored by: South+Ken+Len

I get these points - completely legit. I still hold it is truthful but misleading to say they are interest free because they are sticking £100 on top of the most expensive retail prices anywhere else

@South+Ken+Len wrote:

...they are interest free

I don't disagree...

This message was authored by ckember This message was authored by: ckember

I was looking at these new m3 macbook air deals, which are being marketed as interest free, and paid over 24 months or 36months, its not until you get to the credit check that the contract is actually 36 or 48months. this is very very missleading, they need to highlight that it's a swap after 24 or 36 months only in big letters. can defo get better deal with very, on buy now pay later over 12 months  and cheaper as on sale

@ckember wrote:

I was looking at these new m3 macbook air deals, which are being marketed as interest free, and paid over 24 months or 36months, its not until you get to the credit check that the contract is actually 36 or 48months. this is very very missleading, they need to highlight that it's a swap after 24 or 36 months only in big letters. can defo get better deal with very, on buy now pay later over 12 months  and cheaper as on sale

It's marked how long the contract is way before any credit check.

When you select the items it says (for Swap36) 'This is a 48-month contract. You can swap to a new device anytime from 36 months at no extra cost.'.

Right under the box for selecting Swap24/36.

Having said that I can understand why people misunderstand as they just focus on the number and don't read the other details on screen.

In terms of cost the price can be higher than direct from Apple, but sometimes actually less....  You need to do your research before hitting the purchase button.

This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

I would say the interest is in with the device cost rather than paying separately. That's why it costs more than buying direct from Apple or other retail stores.

Virginia.
Diamond Sky VIP member.
South+Ken+Len
Topic Author

Clearly designed my marketers to be on the edge of what is acceptable. Plus, on some products the overall prices work out a LOT more expensive than Apple retail prices.  Let's be clear NOBODY charges the prices that you end up paying with Sky without declaring it to include interest payments - there is no question that the 'interest free' claim is a sleight of hand con.  

Nevertheless, pragmatically speaking, the 'interest rate' from Sky is very good. Current M3 MBA 256GB from Sky is £1154 over 4 years whilst Apple is charging £1099 cash purchase. This extra £55 represents just under 2.5% interest over 4 years.  Of course you can get for quite a bit less elsewhere, so the actual 'rate' goes up accordingly.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion