Discussion topic: sky go app won't load (WINDOWS)

This message was authored by Andy.C.Clark This message was authored by: Andy.C.Clark

Re: sky go app won't load (WINDOWS)

Same here, but following another thread on almost the same problem, I saw that someone had got it working on a virtual machine.  So I have set this up and now Sky Go works on a Windows 11 VM, set up using VMware Workstation Pro.     But on my regular, non virtual laptop I cannot install it, similar to others it crashes a few seconds are accepting cookies.  This problem was raised in June and still no fix.

This message was authored by Gobbledygook This message was authored by: Gobbledygook

I also saw somewhere that it was suggested that it was a driver issue so I spent hours checking all the ones I could find and guess what they were all up to date (at least Windows Update still works!). I also checked as many of the 3rd party ones as well but again they were all up to date including those associated with my NVIDIA graphics card. 

I'm now really stuffed as I cant get a satellite signal due to a tree blocking it so am on the cusp of saying cheerio to Sky sadly. Paying a fortune for nothing at present.

This message was authored by rethanon This message was authored by: rethanon

Re: Sky Go crashing instantly on version 24.1.3.0 PC

The version list you linked says the Windows 10 and 11 latest version is 24.1.3.2, but the page that is meant to download the latest version only downloads version 24.1.3.0.

This message was authored by rethanon This message was authored by: rethanon

Re: Sky Go crashing instantly on version 24.1.3.0 PC

That was meant for @caesarome

This message was authored by Andy.C.Clark This message was authored by: Andy.C.Clark

24.1.3.2  now works on my laptop!  Amazing, after months of being bust. 

This message was authored by adamr This message was authored by: adamr

the issue is still here for me!
how do you guys know what version you're downloading!

This message was authored by adamr This message was authored by: adamr

how did you install 24.1.3.2  @Andy.C.Clark 
i can only install 24.1.3.0
i installed from https://www.sky.com/pages/sky-go/download-the-app

I downloaded it from the same place as you, and after installing it crashed (as usual). I am guessing that in the process it updated itself to the .2 release.  The next time I started it - it worked.

This message was authored by Fedepr This message was authored by: Fedepr

hi, i've downloaded from the link and it is 24.1.3.0 , then auto updates to 24.1.3.2 . but it is still crashing when start streaming

This message was authored by PareshN This message was authored by: PareshN

I finally found the issue as to why the Sky Go application bombs out just when or before even managed to login on Windows 11 laptops, the reason is not surprisig - the issue is that SKy Go version which Sky provides is for Windows x32 or x64 bit Intel/AMD processor chipsets, note that your windows machine may be running the ARM chipset, example Snapdragon. Sky Go or Sky do not have ARM version of SkyGo application developed as yet and I don't know if they will in the near future. The ARM chipset are powerful machines mostly nowadays designed for AI enabled performance PCs.

I am sorry to give you sort of bad news but we should request SKY to build ARM version of SkyGo app. 

Sir please read my reply - The issue is that Sky need to develop ARM version of SKY Go App, you are trying to install and run the x32/x64 bit Intel/AMD chipset version of Sky Go on your ARM chipset architect and hence it fails.

I finally found the issue as to why the Sky Go application bombs out just when or before even managed to login on Windows 11 laptops, the reason is not surprisig - the issue is that SKy Go version which Sky provides is for Windows x32 or x64 bit Intel/AMD processor chipsets, note that your windows machine may be running the ARM chipset, example Snapdragon. Sky Go or Sky do not have ARM version of SkyGo application developed as yet and I don't know if they will in the near future. The ARM chipset are powerful machines mostly nowadays designed for AI enabled performance PCs.

I am sorry to give you sort of bad news but we should request SKY to build ARM version of SkyGo app. 

I doubt if there is one single person on here who has a Windows machine with an Arm CPU - they will all be Intel or AMD.  The problem is the poor quality of support for Sky Go

Here is the issue documented -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-arm-based-pcs-faq-477f51df-2e3b-f68f-31b0-06f5e4...

I also hope that you are correct, but I encourage users who have this type of Sky Go app crashing or dissappearing check the Windows Event Logs > Applications > and look for memory allocation issues OR simply check the CPU by typing SYSINFO and hit enter in the search box, and check for Processor details - if it is Snapdragon or non-Intel or non-AMD than the issue points to Sky Go version which is not compatible with ARM.

Users will normally blame Microsoft but it's not Microsoft or SKY, the issue is that SKY developers need to build SKY GO version which is compatible with ARM, or be able to call into ARM to call into x64 bit API calls. Just my humble thought - I amy be wrong completely. 

Anyone with SkyGO app bombing out in the recent windows 11 machines - please kindly check this if it applies to Program Compatibility Troubleshooter on Arm | Microsoft Learn

sounds like an ARM chipset incompatibility issue if this SkyGo version is not compatible with running on emulation (x64 bit) on ARM chipset?

PareshN_0-1724353353177.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion