Discussion topic: Skygo and surround sound

This message was authored by homecinema This message was authored by: homecinema

Skygo and surround sound

After extensive delving into configurations on my laptop I can only assume skygo doesn't send a legal 5.1 sound over their app. I like most people asking only get a stereo signal through to my surround sound amplifier. I know the laptop is capable of 7.1 sound when playing a suitable film, but not on Skygo.

Perhaps the software developers could look into this as wherever  we go the tv's are getting more sophisticated, some even have decent sound bars.

All Replies

This message was authored by MagicBoy This message was authored by: MagicBoy

Re: Skygo and surround sound

Picture isn't HD either. It'll be old school SD with Pro-Logic, which is sent as 2.0. NowTV has been the same since year dot.

homecinema
Topic Author
This message was authored by homecinema This message was authored by: homecinema

Skygo is definitely in HD and maybe in 5.1 format,  the problem seems to be with the browsers not written with surround sound coding. Probably because everything is written with mobile phone access as the main component and what is the point of watching a film on mobile when there's a big screen with surround sound available. It completely ruins the experience of enjoying films at their best and that includes Disney+ too.

It also fails on Youtube.

All this technology and we seem to be in retrograde regarding sound qualiity even DAB isn't high quality, all for the sake of bundles of inferior stations all at once

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @homecinema 

SKy Go is limited to 2.0 sound

BTW I believe it is not full HD either & limited to 720p

I think SKY go is seen as a companion app to SKY HD / SKY Q  rather than an alternative to SKY Q minis etc

Of course many other TV catchup/players are also limited in resolution & sound

homecinema
Topic Author

Yes it's correct just because it says HD doesn't mean it's so, it is only SD but at least there's a reasonable picture, sadly surround sound is totally lacking and it's not limited to just Skygo.

Skygo have said they are working on it, as did Disney+ and I don't know about youtube. Well it looks like surround sound will not be arround for quite some time and stereo films don't do it for me, that's for music.

On another note has anybody noticed the single white line at the top of the screen which seems like the frame is one line down from the whole screen is this due to it beind an SD picture.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion