Discussion topic: Sky go not connecting to Q box

This message was authored by Frankie+Connolly This message was authored by: Frankie+Connolly

Re: Sky go not connecting to Q box

@Ajb66 thank you for that,

As it only happened when I renewed my contract I'm sure something like that happened,I'm with sky for 23 years and always had multi room sub,

They have it now connected with my laptop but not my phone it's hit and miss 

But after 5 months it's progress 

This message was authored by regency71 This message was authored by: regency71

So what eventually fixed mine after several visits was they changed certain devices to 2.4 gig Wi-Fi that were on five. Unfortunately it turned out. They taken everything else in the house (and I have 28 devices) off five gig causing lack of performance and failure to work on some of them, so I need to get them back again but to be fair, it did fix the sky go download problem on both iPad and iPhone 

This message was authored by nickdrake This message was authored by: nickdrake

I had the same problem after changing my router and mesh boxes.

I discovered that if I turn off the 5GHZ on the wifi settings of the router the phone discovers the Skybox and can play recordings from it,  You will need to reestablish the connection between the router and the phone when the change is made,  How to make this change will vary from router to router but is general in advanced settings WIFI where you set the WIFI password.

This does mean that all the wireless devices in your house will run at 2.4GHZ.

This is reminiscent of setting up a Skymini box which on non Sky broadband has to be connected on 2.4ghz - which is why I use an ethernet cablle connected to a mesh disc/extender on both the main Skybox and the Sky minibox.

This message was authored by Frankie+Connolly This message was authored by: Frankie+Connolly

@nickdrake  Hello, thanks for that but I'm able to connect my laptop which I'm glad about,but not my android phone,

I have noticed that the laptop uses a different version of the sky go, don't know if this has any bearing on why android won't connect .

Assume your laptop is using wireless rather than an ethernet cable, my desktop could always connect to recordings as it was connected via ethernet.  All the versions of Skygo will be slightly different as they are built for different operating systems.  All I know is that both our iPhones connected after turning off 5rghz on the router.  Also on the router I have the wireless mode sett to Wi-Fi 5 - this was change was made before turning off 5rghz to allow an old wifi printer to connect - the router is the latest EE model.  I had no problems prior to getting this with a BT Smart Hub 2 and the older white BT disks.  The EE setuo is using three EE wifi extender boxes with a sky device attached to 2 of them,  Currently the router is running wifi on Channel 11,

Also check you are running at least Android v9 on your phone.

This message was authored by Seeyouhearyme This message was authored by: Seeyouhearyme

Hi. 

My Mam has had this issue twice recently. Once just randomly and there just now when she changed Internet providers. 

She has Sky Q and was using Sky Go on her android phone. 

I'm sure the technical people have already tried  this but it worked for Mam. 

I got her to sign out of Sky Go and Reactivate the connection on the Sky Q box. And sign back in. That didn't fix it on it's own but I'm just mentioning it in case reactivation is needed. 

Next she signed out of Sky Go again, went into her app settings and cleared the cache. Then she restarted her phone. 

When she signed back into Sky Go the box connected straight away. 

That's twice I was able to talk her through that over the phone. 

Not saying it will work for everyone but sometimes the simple solution is the solution. 

@Seeyouhearyme 

Thanks for that, but yes I've tried all of that,,,but it's funny my laptop connects all the time at the moment now my android phone is another matter might connect 1/20 times and the only thing I can see is the laptop is using a different version of the sky go

Regards Frankie 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion