Discussion topic: Sky Go in Had on Apple TV

This message was authored by Finance+jon This message was authored by: Finance+jon

Sky Go in Had on Apple TV

As ever with steps forward with Sky, it's never that simple.

I really warmed to the improvement of having Sky Go on TV through an Apple TV box. However, having loaded the App on both my Apple TV boxes, I couldn't get any program in HD. On the program summary it says "also available in HD" which I presume means that you have to go back to the Sky Q box or mini box to get the benefit of viewing in HD.

Both my Apple boxes are HD capable, so I'm disappointed that this isn't going to be the case with Sky Go unless there's a get around somewhere in settings!

Jon morris

All Replies

This message was authored by SimonW This message was authored by: SimonW

Re: Sky Go in Had on Apple TV

It's so poor. The picture quality on Sky Go has always been poor but on a phone it doesn't matter, and while it could be better on a tablet its good enough but on a large TV that quality isn't good enough. I had kind of hoped it would open up 4k in other rooms but it's not even doing HD. For the brief time I had the awful sky glass it was about the only positive so being able to get 4k on secondary tvs with sky q would have been great

And why can the ipad and phone app access my recordings when on the same network but this cant. Surely that's one of the main use cases for sky go when you are in the household 

Finance+jon
Topic Author
This message was authored by Finance+jon This message was authored by: Finance+jon

Re: Sky Go in HD on Apple TV

And to make matters worse, no matter how I try I can't get my Apple HomePods working as I can't get the sound to come out of anything but the TV! Tried several times in the Apple TV audio settings and switched temporarily to Netflix to make sure the Pods were working, but TV speakers are the default for Sky Go through an Apple TV and there's no changing that! Unless someone knows better?

Jon morris
Finance+jon
Topic Author

Ok, having started this discussion thread I would like to expand the conversation to see if this new  feature gets round one of my longest held frustrations about using Sky abroad. Given that I pay a fairly high monthly fee to watch Sky at home I have never understood why I am not allowed this privilege whilst abroad on holiday. I think most people using an iPad and Vpn have got round that now, but is having Sky Go on Apple TV now a better option. Can I ask if anyone has taken their Apple TV box away with them and connected an Apple TV via a TV HDMI cable and watched Sky Go with the aid of Vpn software? If so, absolutely fantastic news which I hope doesn't provoke Sky into unnecessary blocking manoeuvres!

Jon morris
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Finance+jon wrote:

Ok, having started this discussion thread I would like to expand the conversation to see if this new  feature gets round one of my longest held frustrations about using Sky abroad. Given that I pay a fairly high monthly fee to watch Sky at home I have never understood why I am not allowed this privilege whilst abroad on holiday. I think most people using an iPad and Vpn have got round that now, but is having Sky Go on Apple TV now a better option. Can I ask if anyone has taken their Apple TV box away with them and connected an Apple TV via a TV HDMI cable and watched Sky Go with the aid of Vpn software? If so, absolutely fantastic news which I hope doesn't provoke Sky into unnecessary blocking manoeuvres!

Sky don't have the rights to be able to stream content to devices outside the UK (thanks to Brexit).  Exactly the same issue Netflix have now, where you don't get the same content in the UK and overseas.

So there's no way for you to use your Apple TV to stream Sky content overseas without breaking the terms and conditions you agreed to when you subscribed to Sky. Hence it's not something which can be discussed on this forum.

This message was authored by Fawkesy0811 This message was authored by: Fawkesy0811

Hi Jon

Are you saying in the SkyGo app on Apple TV that you can at least get programmes on but not in HD?  If so, how? Much to my frustration I read that SkyGo was now available through AppleTV, so after buying one, to then find as I logged in the message saying content is not available "yet" really annoyed me. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fawkesy0811 

Sky Go was released for Apple television boxes in July.  Note however that unlike 'Sky Go' on Android/iOS/Windows/OSX, 'Sky Go for Apple TV' requires the Sky subscriber to have a Multiscreen/Whole Home subscription supplement in addition to a baseline Sky satellite or streaming (Glass/Stream) subscription ('Signature' or 'Ultimate TV')

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion